What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio transmit issue

cacflyer

Friend
Hi all - I?m in what I would like to think is final config and checks before first engine start, checking radios for proper function. Radios are Garmin GTR 20 and 200, with a GMA 240 audio panel.

When GMA 240 is ON, on both radios I hear a beep beep beep about every second when speaking. Just depressing the PTT does not generate the beeps. Ground reports carrier only.

When the GMA 240 is OFF:
(1) when left on COM 1, transmits are free and clear.
(2) when left on COM 2, RX is displayed on the GDU when the PTT is depressed, I?m thinking this is because the GDU does not support 2 radios without an audio panel.

I?ve done some googling etc, but have not found a hint yet as to what might be causing the beep beep beep when the GMA 240 is ON.

Anyone run into this before ?

Regards
Chris Cook
N261CC

Solved

Just a quick note in case anyone runs into this issue. One of the headset jack wires, the shield was a bit exposed because I did not install a heat shrink to the wire. Underneath, was a nick in the inner insulator exposing the wire.

I had the audio panel bench tested at Stark Avionics, it checked out fine. John Stark said they had seen this before and it was a short to ground, likely a nick in the wire. I was not sure how to best figure out which wire, Christer at Steinair told me the test method, which is to use the multimeter, negative on the common ground, positive on the jack. I found the offending jack/wire right away and discovered the underlying issue.

Also want to thank Steve at [email protected] for working with me to eliminate other possible causes. I can?t say enough good things about Garmin, it?s not the first time I?ve sent emails on a Sunday and received responses within hours.

If it were not for the RV community of builders and vendors, there no way I would be so close to first engine start! Thank you all! :)

Back