VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 AM

Default That was a low blow, Scott

But you were absolutely correct. Just where you said it would be. I think I'll be able to decode and organize the stockpile now.

Next up: cotter pins and machine screws

This will take time, but it will pay dividends in future work sessions. BTDT two decades ago.

-Stormy
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 AM

Default About aging rivets

I have quite an assortment that came with the partially-completed kit, including some that were probably in the builder's shop from even older projects. Most that are part of my kit are still bagged from Van's, in 2010-2011. I've heard about age-hardening of rivets and don't want problems with cracked heads when it comes time to shoot these.

Any way to tell ahead of time what the likelihood of issues is? Is there a rejuvenation trick for ancient rivets, if I have any?

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 PM

Default As often happens

a search of the archives answers nearly all questions (we are almost never the first to have a dilemma, are we?)

I learned that the rivets are likely a-okay, and a little cracking when driving is within mil-spec, even if they are age-hardened somewhat. I'll shoot-n-see, and replace inventory if necessary.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Is there a rejuvenation trick for ancient rivets, if I have any?
Let Mr. Google help you------- try searching for "annealing aluminum rivets"

Here is one old thread.......

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=50763

A buddy who is an old time RV guy actually has a small table top oven/kiln to anneal or soften rivets.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-01-2016, 06:21 AM

Default They are fine forever (AD rivets)

The rivets used on the RV (AD rivets with single dimple in head) will not do anything to change hardness over time. As long as they are kept dry, you can use them forever and ever..no worries. If they were D or DD designation(single bump or double dash on head) that were shipped in an "ice box" condition and stored on dry ice, they would remain annealed for a period of time for shooting purpose. I work with these all day, every day, and have the means to "cook" them (D/DD) rivets into an annealed state if need. Keep them on a shelf in case you want to build or repair something down the road.
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 07-22-2016, 07:48 AM

Default Making sure...

Plans call for WD-415, by designation and depiction in the plans - a welded steel part. Lots of the bits in my kit are unbagged and scattered as I received it from previous owner. Am I correct in assuming these milled billet aluminum pieces are what I seek?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Spray booth

Thought I'd share my Pinterest-inspired (ok - here' my man-card, again) paint booth. I was going to fab some kind of folding collapsible design allowing downdraft ventilation while priming small parts, but couldn't come up with anything clever enough I thought would work well. Then I saw on a google image search something similar to what I ended up doing, and I gave up the compact foldable storage idea for the convenience of wheels, and a ready-made sturdy frame.

This is a generic Costco/SAM's Club chrome welded-wire NSF shelving unit wrapped in foil-backed foam insulation board and held together largely with HVAC aluminum tape. Work surface is 20" deep x 48" wide and consists of one of the moveable shelves. Second shelf below supports a layer of cheap-o HVAC filters and bottom shelf holds the 8" cylindrical Harbor Freight ventilation fan that exhausts out the back. The 8" flex duct goes to a tri-fold 10-foot by 16" foam board pass-through that wedges under the roll-up shop door to the outside. LED strip lighting in the top shelf.

Lightweight, rolls easily into a corner when not in use, can use indoors in inclement wx or outside in the driveway on a nice day. About $250 in new parts. Can be written off in the Accounting Department as an essential need for the right-seater, who likes to make primitive art decor objects and shoots a lot of rattle-can Krylon in the process. Here is the love of my life, all 4'-11" of her, showing how well it works (with a step-stool if you're vertically-challenged)

A careful look at the wall over her right shoulder will show what other tasks awaits her if she hangs out in the man-cave too long. In literature class, they call this "foreshadowing."

Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 AM

Default wow

Bill,
Looking good Bill....great idea...tiny paint booth!
Shop looks wonderful and Bright too.
Any progress is progress.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Am I correct in assuming these milled billet aluminum pieces are what I seek?
Yes, that is correct. Dimple the plate, countersink the billet part.

I would suggest that you use screws and nuts to hold the parts instead of riveting them----------much easier to install the parts separately compared to a riveted together assembly.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 AM

Default yeah, not big enough for skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Martin View Post
Bill,
Looking good Bill....great idea...tiny paint booth!
Shop looks wonderful and Bright too.
Any progress is progress.
Booth this size is good for small parts needing AKZO. Also for Lorri's country-primitive objects d'art. Skins will have to be done on sawhorses over drop cloth. Fortunately, my almost-a-QB kit has all but a few top skins interior-primed already