VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-15-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Bob, you should see...

the dusty stuff I sometimes track upstairs from the basement to the first floor and onto the dark laminate flooring. And you should hear the words that come out of my wife's mouth when she sees what I've done (again). I am constantly chagrinned that a whole flight of carpeted steps is not sufficient to clean the soles of my tennis shoes when I forget to wipe them on the mat before exiting the shop.

Yes, I could sand outside, but don't see the point now that the dust from earlier sessions has gone everywhere in the shop and the plane. I plan to continue my halfhearted sweeping efforts and will do a big deep-clean when the sanding phase is over (is it ever?)

I am bach-ing it this weekend and plan to do a lot of work while she's away, but was telling myself tonight - this is going to take a LOT of coats and dabs of micro to get it the way I want it, together with HOURS of sanding said micro. Add in epoxy cure time and it's plain I won't get far on a given "airplane weekend."

I can't get the overhead glued in until the VOR antenna is laid out and overcoated with neat epoxy for protection. The antenna foil can't go down until the B-pillars are contoured and smoothed - which leads me back to the micro coating and sanding mentioned above. At least I got the 108 MHz coaxial balun made up tonight.

One bite of the elephant at a time.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post

<snip>...

I can't get the overhead glued in until the VOR antenna is laid out and overcoated with neat epoxy for protection. The antenna foil can't go down until the B-pillars are contoured and smoothed - which leads me back to the micro coating and sanding mentioned above. At least I got the 108 MHz coaxial balun made up tonight.

One bite of the elephant at a time.
The precedence relationships for finishing the cabin top, doors, and windows are worse than those in the Manhattan project. You can't finalize the door gaps until the cabin top is done. You can't do the cabin top fiberglass until the windows are in. You can't put all of the windows in until the upper front fuselage is in. You don't want to install the upper front fuselage before the panel and sub-panel are mostly complete. Also, you don't want all of your wiring and panel goodies to get covered in an inch of sanding dust.

It almost turns into an infinite loop. So you just have to pick a point in the loop (mobius strip?) and go from there, knowing that your actions will increase the level of skill/difficulty/patience required on some other part of the build. It is maddening, and then you throw in the complicating factors of paint and epoxy curing times, the time, space, and conditions you need to do a decent job of painting all of the interior bits, and those sections in the manual take forever. I look longingly back at the days of "Tab A into Slot B" building...
Old 09-16-2017, 07:04 AM

Default Problem solved

Stormy,
I found your problem.......
"dark laminate flooring"
Switch to a fiberglass dust colored flooring!!
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Bob - great idea! I will check the Moduleo laminate catalog right now and see what the offerings are in "Pink dust with white speckles."

Meanwhile, Kyle hit it spot on in his analysis. Anyone who builds more than a barebones -10 with spartan interior knows well what he refers to. That comment should exist in the -10 forum as a "sticky" unto itself.

Kyle, I might take one exception to your topographic mapping of the Mobius strip: I believe (and hope to act thereon) that one can finish the exterior fiberglass ready for paint before installing the windows. But for the windshield, this could be done 100% ahead of time. Because the windshield to forward skin transition requires an extensive in-place fiberglass layup, the evil forces you detailed come into play, but only in the front lower corners of the fiberglass top.

I guess I'll find out. FWIW I'm planning to use the YouTube GlasStar window technique others have linked to before. (At 10:05, he mentions the primer already on the cabin top as he's rough-fitting the transparency)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A336SG-fsiI

Last edited by Bill Boyd : 09-16-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Progress update

After months of work, I can stand back and look at the top and doors and realize that one of the scariest parts of the build is behind me. The glass parts have been trimmed and fashioned into two well-fitting doors, the overhead console has been fabricated and installed, copper foil antennas epoxied in, and the interior "fake Zolatone" applied with good results.

If I had appreciated beforehand how much this treatment was going to hide blemishes and imperfections in the substrate, I'd have skipped most of several weeks' worth of micro skim coats and sanding to address pinholes and waviness! Oh, well. Good practice for the exterior 'glass.

The process was copied from Mark, a.k.a. Canadian Joy. It consists of semigloss (in my case) latex interior paint rolled on - two coats with wet sanding between, then Krylon stone finish spray paint fogged on with quick passes from 2-3 feet away, then a matte clear spray paint to lock it all down and hopefully keep the bumpy finish particles from chipping off. The masking tape is there to provide a flat mating surface for the McMaster bulb seals and beneath the contrasting color window trim to be sprayed on later.

Yesterday while I was at work and the workpiece was at home in the shop, I torture-tested it by letting it fall off the bench. Apparently the Gorilla Tape used to secure the doors in the closed position for painting decided to let go, a door dropped open and rolled the entire thing off the bench onto the floor.

A panicked inspection revealed nary a crack, ding or scratch anywhere No need for CPR on me, or advanced trauma life support on the cabin structure. I was particularly impressed that the hinge screws didn't tear out since I had only quick-installed one of the 4 screws in each door hinge.

Now I can stroke my whiskers and contemplate the next steps going forward. There remains plenty of steps that are easier to do before the top is in the way permanently. I have a list started, beginning with things that don't require additional big-ticket purchases. It's real estate and personal property tax season in Virginia

Old 11-07-2017, 05:09 PM

I think you will like living with your solution. The interior of my RV-10 is finished with gray Rustoleum stone by itself. I wouldn't have chosen it had I built the airplane, but I would now. I love it. It's light, durable, and hides dirt and imperfections. If only I could figure out a way to make placards (like my experimental placard) stick to it directly, I would be totally satisfied.
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 PM

I would of never thought to you one of those Rustoleum texture paints on an interior, but it's a neat idea.
Donated for 2017
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Nice

Nice Work Bill!
Congrats on a job well done.
Seems I have seen that finish on the Burt Rutan canards from the 80's...kind of retro!
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 AM

And on every fiberglass boat ever built, Bob

Old 11-08-2017, 10:36 AM

That cabin top looks AMAZING!!! I am planning on exactly the same. Why the "fake Zolatone" why not just use the Zolatone products?
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com