What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 oil plug and oil change

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
My RV-10 finally hit 50 hours and last night I changed the oil from the break-in mineral oil to the standard ashless dispersant that it will be using for the rest of it's life. A couple of questions:

1. The IO-540 has two oil plugs, and I've been removing only one when doing oil changes. Do they both need to come out? I always assumed it had two to give you a choice, dependent on what's in the way.
2. Removing the stock oil plug is a pain in the a$$. The square stud ensures that I can't use a socketed torque wrench, and the metal is so soft I find myself rounding it off every time I torque on it with a standard wrench. I want to replace it and I found this product:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/sa-p5000.html
It claims to be a simple tool-free push and twist oil plug valve and it's FAA approved. Has anyone had experience with these? Seems like it's the answers to all my prayers, but I don't want to take any chances with losing engine oil in mid-flight.

I have a plug like your link. I like it. You just connect a hose to the outlet and drain into a jug.

Don't forget to pull the oil screen and check it; especially since the engine is new. The plug is on the lower aft part of the engine. Mine is on the right side (looking forward) but since no two Lycomings are alike yours may be in a different location.

The gizmo is called a quick drain, and lots of airplanes have them. As noted above, you still should check the screen.

Back