What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

115V AC through Inverter

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
This is my first build and was wondering if anyone has wired in a 115V AC outlet in the baggage compartment powered through an inverter? My thought is I could turn on this outlet through a switch on the panel.

I'm envisioning a scenario where I fly from Alaska with several hundred pounds of fish. I'm thinking I could place a portable freezer in place of the back seats and not have to fly a bunch of ice.

I'd love to hear any thoughts.

Inverter

Where are you mounting your magnetometer? If it is in the tailbone, I would be careful about putting an inverter back there, especially an inexpensive one. They can be horribly noisy with respect to EM radiation and the magnetometer doesn't tolerate much of that...

There are coolers that run on 12 volts too. Not terribly efficient, but an alternator handles them OK>
Having said that- I would do what Alaska Airlines does- dry ice. Just deep freeze your fish before flight and then pack in dry ice. It sublimates as it warms, so no mess.

Last edited:
Just a SWAG on my part, but I think the inverter would be liable to cause a noise problem and the freezer would be heavy. How much can a couple of pounds of dry ice in a cooler effect your CG, anyway?

If using dry ice, please be careful to have the aircraft well ventilated. While not a poison, you can't breath CO2, and if it builds up in the cockpit it could be just as deadly as CO.

Back