What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost a 14 mod

Future RV 9 Flyer

Was working this week on the fuselage bulkheads and on the behind the seat bulkhead.Being 6-3 & 255 I was thinking of giving anti splat aero's almost a 14 mod a try. Just wondering if anybody has tried it and how it worked out.seems fairly easy to install if you do it while building.Let me know what you think, Thanks,Dave by the way,it's a 9a, slider.Have to change my title

I am 6' 4" with a long upper torso. Nothing fits or is comfortable without the maximum adjustment. My -6A has a 1" thick seat cushion and I still hit the roof more than once, hard.

Put in the mod and now I need a 2" cushion! Wife, who is 5' 9" loves it, I wish it was available in 1999 when mine first flew. Unfortunately the new -10 is getting all the time now, the -6A will be sold next spring.

A very nice modification

Dave it always scared me that my 6A was too tight and would be uncomfortable, especially on a long cross country. The extra few inches you gain with the " almost a 14" mod makes a tremendous difference. It was very easy to install while under construction. It is the one mod I purchased which I know I won't regret. ;)

Great Mod

+1. Best mod I have done to my -6! Great kit, good instructions. If you will be installing during the build, would be a piece of cake.

The hardest part for me was getting the old cross-bar out of my -6 (I'm not the builder)

I'm 6'2, short legs, and long torso. It made a huge difference for me. A "no-brainer". :D

The most uncomfortable part (for me) of the -6, -7 & -9 is the legroom, or lack thereof. With the mod, and an extra hinge to move the seat bottom back an inch, I can put my feet under the rudder pedals on a -7A I installed the mod on and I think that will make all the difference in the world on a long flight.

Thanks for the replies everyone.I think I will order the mod and install when it comes time for the behind the seat bulkhead.jesse,I was wondering if there was room to add another hinge.would you have any pictures or is it a simple addition just one inch farther aft

Thanks for the replies everyone.I think I will order the mod and install when it comes time for the behind the seat bulkhead.jesse,I was wondering if there was room to add another hinge.would you have any pictures or is it a simple addition just one inch farther aft

It starts to get really tight with the seat belts, but it works.

This may be a stupid question, but is there any way to convert a tip up to a slider before the finishing kit is ordered?

I believe that someone has figured out a way to do the "Almost A 14 mod" to a tip-up canopy. Suggest you check with Allan Nimmo, at antisplataero.com. :)

I was all excited about this mod until I read the fine print that it doesn't work with a tip up...

Back