What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 vs. Harmon ?

V111Pilot

Looking to get into a Rocket! Anyone want to expound on the differences, pros and cons of the F1 versus the Harmon?

Also what kind of real world cruise speeds should I expect?

Any additional advise is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Brent

I just purchase N230BW and its on its way to me

Would like to hear those same comments please. PM me

I will have mine based @ KLHW

Assuming we are talking about completed airplanes, two things come immediately to mind:

- The F-1 has a better gear geometry and mechanical attachment method (tapered socket)

- The F-1 has more standard fuel (though both "need" more IMHO. A 540 needs 60 gals minimum).

My Harmon Rocket has some F1 parts such as sliding canopy, speed slope windscreen, Gear fairing and wheel pants Many folks have done this, so the two aircraft may look similar.

In fact I used the F1 build manual during construction.

The gear legs are different, but I had mine professionally machined and used close tolerance bolts for the attachment. It is good to check this on the HR II. I hear that the F1 is faster, but my max 8500? cruise speed is a reliable 240 MPH TAS with a 9.2 CR IO-540 and stock induction. Many F1?s have a better induction system, so that helps, but burns more fuel.

The fun factor for either is +++.

The flat wrap windscreen is not necessarily an F-1 exclusive part, in fact I've done the same on an RV-8. It's just an aftermarket mod. My HR will be equipped with a radically raked flat wrap and will not be sourced from the F-1 catalog.

The induction system is also up for grabs. They are a bit different in appearance, but their architecture is similar. Mine is "off plan" but I expect it to be more effective. Fortunately, I have some excellent examples of each breed to compare with in real world testing. Will report back when data is available.

Last edited:
HR2-cents...

Looking to get into a Rocket! Anyone want to expound on the differences, pros and cons of the F1 versus the Harmon?

Also what kind of real world cruise speeds should I expect?

Any additional advise is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Brent

Brent,
The biggest difference is the airframe. The F-1 being built from Mark Frederick's fantastic kit he engineered in the Czech Republic using his HR2 as the model. Refined is an understatement. Dimensions compared with HR2 are nearly identical with variations in the empennage and 2 wing options available, Sport (Hershey Bar)and EVO,(Tapered)
HR2's conversely are built from John Harmon's plans using a stock RV4 kit as the baseline and adding on, basically a Super RV4. I bought a damaged early HR2, repaired and improved it, amassing nearly 1000 hours. I operated it from my 2000' soft turf strip with 50' obstacles at both ends, a testament to one aspect of the Rocket's utility most don't employ.
Real world performance? (IO540C4B5, Gami Injectors, EI)

Max Range Cruise: 180KTAS at 8500' at 9GPH. (20"/2300)
Go Fast High Cruise: (20"/2600) 205KTAS@12,500 13GPH
27 Squared at Sea Level full rich 214KIAS at 19GPH.
Longest Leg: 1000NM at Max Range Cruise (52Gal)

Overall comparison with my RV4?
More bang for much (exactly twice) more $$$ including insurance rates but it was the closest personal airplane to the F16 I could afford to own:)

V/R
Smokey

PS:I would contact Mark Frederick or Vince at Team Rocket and get their Dos Centavos. Tom Martin has built several models of both and is a wealth of great information. He can be PM'd on this site.
www.teamrocketaircraft.com

Last edited:
Tom,

Thanks for the plug. I don't get to check the VAF forums as often as I used to do!!

I think you guys hit the high spots. Direct any other specific questions to me via email please.

Back