What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N804RV

N804RV

Well Known Member
Officially an airplane builder:

The 15 year old plastic film comes right off. I wonder if the older clear stuff is somehow less of a problem than the blue stuff.

Rear spar halves and HS skins match drilled:

Still haven't finished the wife's shrine to the shoe goddess. But, I'm so tired of doing "honey-do's" I decided to break out some airplane parts. The honey-do list will always be there so, to heck with it!

So, after 8 months of saying I was actually going to start building, I actually spent a couple of days making airplane parts. And, ....my first BIG mistake!

I misunderstood the instructions and drilled pilot holes for the bolt locations at CL+1.5" on both the HS-810 and HS-814. I only noticed that because I went back and rewatched the Ordorff video on the pertinent section before I started riveting the HS front spar.

I've already reordered the -1 version of both parts. The parts on my kit are pre "-1" part numbers. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Last edited:
I'm at the sane spot in life! The honey do list never gets smaller..might as well start making airplane parts! I see this is an old thread. .Are you flying yet? I agree the clear plastic comes right off my 2001 generation kit!

I figured its time to update this thread. Family medical and career issues got in the way of my building. But, I've been back at it for awhile now. Q/B wings were acquired from an abandoned kit. and some progress has been made.

I got my slow build fuselage in November. And, have been trying to do something on it every day, at least the 4 days a week that I'm not shlepping back and forth to Seattle to do 12 hour shifts.

The Q/B wings still don't have bottom outboard skins riveted on, or the wing tip fiberglass work complete. But, I took delivery of the slow-build fuselage in November. And, I'm focusing all my build time in making progress on that. Wings and fiberglass work I'll finish later.

Since I bought SmokeyRay's "Ultimate 1835 Sonerai IIL" I've also been getting more flight time. Which is a great morale booster for those days when the rivet-gun is kicking my arse, or the RV plans and drawings have ignited an uncontrolled helmet fire.

Joining the forward and center sections of the cockpit for the first time was a big thrill. Can't wait to see that aluminum canoe take shape!

41986557934_4b07500c98_z.jpg

48273104661_7cefb9e620_z.jpg

46491761845_d95689acc4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Joining the forward and center sections of the cockpit for the first time was a big thrill.

Congrats on the milestone! I remember doing that step and thinking that it was the last time I would be able to pick up my plane by myself. Like you, I'm a "one day at a time" builder.

Rob

Looks good! Memories. I was 80749, and now I don't fly, but what a great trip emjoy!

Back