What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 : Spinner/ wheels fairings/...

Uniform Romeo

I'm New Here
Dear RV-4 pilots and builders,
I have few questions. I would like to change the spinner on my RV-4 and would like to put a longer one to streach the lines. What type of spinner would you recommand?
I'm also thinking of changing my old wheels fairings. Would fairings from an RV-8 (or other ) fit on the RV-4?
Also, I would like to change the little fairings/karman that are between the landing gear and the airframe. What would you recommand?
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Jm

I have few questions. I would like to change the spinner on my RV-4 and would like to put a longer one to streach the lines. What type of spinner would you recommand?
I'm also thinking of changing my old wheels fairings. Would fairings from an RV-8 (or other ) fit on the RV-4?
Also, I would like to change the little fairings/karman that are between the landing gear and the airframe. What would you recommand?
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Jm
Spinner. Sorry I have no names but there is a metal one floating around people use. A guy in Oregon decade or two ago sold spinners with hidden screws and longer pointy profile. I think he is out of business. I had one on my RV-4, and it was NICE. James makes great stuff but no spinner. Van's might have a different design then yours if it's old. But Van's spinners are more blunt then others.

Wheel Pants: Sam James has great wheel pants. I recommend, have Sam's wheel pant fairing for the 5x5 wheel. He makes a smaller one for the LAMB tires. Van's wheel pants will work well. See Van's catalog. I personally don't like the looks of van's wheel pants.

Gear Leg Fairing: Newer wider gear leg fairings are improved over the aluminum ones. Van's fairings are a bit narrow. I think Team Rocket makes a wider gear leg fairing.

Gear Leg transition fairings: You can make your own gear leg transition fairings (Sam has a Video). There are off the shelf ones I think from van's (or someone) but the fit will have to be tweaked. Laying up custom intersection fairings is going to give best fit.

Last edited:
The Spinner stops here....

Thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Jm

JM,
I can also highly recommend the Catto CF spinner, perfect fit on my RV4 and very well made. Specify the diameter as the old vinylester cowls are smaller diameter.
www.cattoprops.com
As far as wheel pants go, Van's pressure recovery pants are hard to beat and can handle grass or rough turf well and can accomodate 380x150x5 Aero Classics, also great for soft turf.
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...2-106-516&browse=airframe&product=wheel-pants
For leg fairings the Team Rocket fairings are stronger and never cracked in 1000 hours. Fairings Etc produces high quality intersection fairings utilized on all three of my RV's.
www.fairings-etc.com

Sam James pants are fine for pavement but there is very little space around the tire and mud clogs them up easily. I replaced them on my HR2 with the two mods listed above after several landings on my home strip destroyed them. Additionally their glass quality is nowhere near the product Vans produces IMHO.
My current RV6"X" sports a pair of Vans PR pants and they have proven themselves excellente'.

V/R
Smokey

My former Harmon Rocket with Van's PR pants, 380x150x5 tires and Team Rocket/Fairings Etc fairings.

Last edited:
Back