- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
I know -4s aren't -3s, but they are pretty close. :-)
I know this is what -4 drivers tell themselves, and the -4 is a wonderful airplane, for sure.....but it really isn’t that close to a -3 in handling. The -4’s I have flown are about halfway between a -3 and an -8 in “delight fullness”.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Default Due respect to two great RVers

I am personally in the middle of this dispute. The late Jim Winings told me numerous times that he disagreed with Paul because Jim had done first flights on over 5 RV3’s. Jim had two 4’s and Rocket and convinced me try his 4. It was impressive, so Jim and I went to Ohio to look at the 4 project I am currently finishing.
Jim was scheduled to fly my 3B with very responsive ailerons and settle the debate in his mind, but Jim unexpectedly died. I am not qualified to judge this contest, but I will have a 3 and a 4 soon, for anyone with qualifications to settle the discussion ��
Clinton, IN

Last edited by Larry DeCamp : 05-19-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Default back to weight discussion

I love the idea of a 3 but I keep coming back to gross weight considerations- at a chubby 200 lbs and a 3b at 800 plus lbs, I'm at less than 10 gals fuel OR use a higher gross weight as several have done. But you will find equal numbers arguing that the gross weight of 1050 lbs is sacred as per Van.
So, although I come close to making an offer- I come back to looking for rv4 with almost as good of flight characteristics and no weight problem, especially if I fly it solo like I obviously would the RV 3. And being slightly more practical, then the ability to sell someday will be better.

Pitts S2C purchased and flying
Pitts S1C bought and sold
Rv4-bought and sold x2
F-1 Rocket bought and sold
" live each day like it was your last,
One day you will be right"

Old 05-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Default The best RV

I have to admit, when I bought my -3 in 2014 I had been looking for a Citabria because I learned in a tail wheel, and I love tandem seating. Narrow fuselages just look more sexy, and the sliding canopy gives it a fighter plane look...Cool factor is why so many Young Eagles gravitate to an RV over a 172.

The other factor for me was cost. Divorced with a kid in private school, I had a limit and didn't want a partner for my first foray into airplane ownership. I found an RV with a well documented history, It's one of the Bakersfield RV-3's very well built in the mid 80's (N66GB), and it needed repairs. Cost me $18k, and I put another 4k in it to get the motor mount and gear legs replaced. I have since done instruments, ADSb, transponder, radio, both spar mods, and misc repairs and its being painted as we speak so I am probably upside down in it as far as cost, but I couldn't care less. It is hands down the most bang for the buck out there. Well mannered, responsive, and FAST. When I fly the Citabria now, it is a little boring. As others have mentioned, even if I did have 2 seats, flying is usually spontaneous. And even if you make efforts to find a passenger, 90-95% of the time I would be by myself anyway.

Each must ask themselves "what is the mission"? If weekends away, golf trips and getting to other sporting events is your mission...RV-3 is not for you. I like to fly fast, do a little acro, and if I do want to go somewhere, I can cruise at 175 mph with good fuel economy. Flying for me is about the freedom it gives me, and having fun. The RV-3 is the perfect plane for me right now, and when the time comes to sell, it will probably be because the "mission" has changed.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Three 4 Me?

My first RV flight was in an early RV3. It belonged to an F16 squadron bro who knew I was building a RV4. I flew it alot and to this day believe it to be the purest Sport Plane of the breed. However comma...with increased insurance, hangar, fuel, justification for existence and other variables, owning a single seat sportplane for most is eccentric and hard to justify and why I believe people are selling them.
The RV4 on the other hand is basically a stretched, improved Three and it's flight qualities and cost of ownership are close enough that the increased utility, range, better wing and spar design, aesthetics and overall appeal lend it to be the best bang for the RV buck IMHO...
V/R
Smokey

PS: I once joked that it would be cool when the F16's were all scrapped (which may never happen) to buy one and fly it for fun if somebody else paid for the gas.
My RV3 owner SQ bro's comment was appropriate to this thread, "That would be cool, but I'd definitely buy a D model (2 seat trainer) so I could share the experience"

Last edited by smokyray : 05-29-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:55 AM

Single seats have always been single seats, and hard to justify, but you may be onto something about the increasing cost of ownership making it worse now. Adding transponder and ADS-B requirements doesn't help, though many places (like here) don't need them. Unfortunately, trying to sell a plane that isn't ADS-B compliant limits the market significantly this close to the deadline, and I think that's one of the main problems I'm having selling mine.

Rusty
RV-3B, SN-11351, purchased, current FOR SALE
A&P - 2018 dues paid