What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First (solo) flight, where to...

gfb

Well Known Member
Checked out on my new RV yesterday, weather looked great this morning so figured I'm out of excuses. Thinking about where to go and the obvious answer comes to me...

-ogvKjQRWFb2iBDnbIP7YyoPiUKGu_abRlbYTWR7gK0SNMaZZCwCVCezqSbV9xL00PafjYJsXtRL4WWyCYXchxkAWaKsf8LU0G8iHnZGv6_-S1saUoJbp0Nj6Lhe8GZkbNRYKAGoElw=w973-h730-no

Amusingly, it was also my first flight here, I've always driven to have a car for the week.

I've always wanted to fly to KOSH not on show week, just to see how empty it looks without the show there. but nothings taken me that direction yet. Congrats on the flight!

I've always wanted to fly to KOSH not on show week, just to see how empty it looks without the show there. but nothings taken me that direction yet. Congrats on the flight!

It's eerily deserted. Hard to sort out where things are as my usual landmarks are not there.

OSH

In the early 90's I had the opportunity to fly into OSH the week after the Convention. The Fond du Lac contest was the week after Oshkosh, I did multiple demo flights out of Fondy doing touch and go's at OSH. Around 2003 I used to stop there, sometimes in the middle of the night, for self serve fuel.
2018 was my 49th consecutive OSH. In recent years I have parked the airplane at a nearby airport and drove to OSH.

Oshkosh, July 31, after Airventure

Providing some perspective, after AirVenture, of the size of the event! Huge! Most exciting flight in years, arriving Runway 9 by VFR over FISKE on Sunday afternoon, 7/22.

29bj90x.jpg

2d6s615.jpg

35binu0.jpg

2cz4ktu.jpg

Checked out on my new RV yesterday, weather looked great this morning so figured I'm out of excuses. Thinking about where to go and the obvious answer comes to me...

-ogvKjQRWFb2iBDnbIP7YyoPiUKGu_abRlbYTWR7gK0SNMaZZCwCVCezqSbV9xL00PafjYJsXtRL4WWyCYXchxkAWaKsf8LU0G8iHnZGv6_-S1saUoJbp0Nj6Lhe8GZkbNRYKAGoElw=w973-h730-no

Amusingly, it was also my first flight here, I've always driven to have a car for the week.

Very nice picture looking good polished. Good destination. You built it pretty fast three years only.

Yesterday turned out to be a busy day...

MSN-OSH-ATW-MTW-SBM-MWC-ENW-DKB-RFD-JVL-MSN
4.9 hrs.

Today I might to the Wisconsin loop counter-clockwise.

Oshkosh

In the hallway at the west end of the former OSH airline terminal there is a large display of pictures showing the history of the airport.
Oshkosh Airport Inc. was built in 1928.
In 1931 Steve Wittman moved his flight operation to Oshkosh. He was airport manager from 1931 to 1969 and owned the FBO from 1931 to 1957, when he sold the FBO to Warren Basler. Basler was a local farmer who had learned to fly at Wittman Flying Service.
When Steve moved to Oshkosh the N/S runway was 2400' long and ended at West 20th Ave., the street where the Hilton Hotel is located.
Big Bonzo, Steve's Thompson Racer, was flown off that runway. No brakes, a tailskid and a landing speed somewhere around 100 statute.

Extra stop

Yesterday turned out to be a busy day...

MSN-OSH-ATW-MTW-SBM-MWC-ENW-DKB-RFD-JVL-MSN
4.9 hrs.

Today I might to the Wisconsin loop counter-clockwise.

Pleas add KMFI to your loop and PM me!!! I would love to see your RV-9. We will be starting our build in a few months.

I flew to OSH on July 8th and stayed at the Hilton on the field. Doesn't get much better than taxi/parking at the hotel in your "RV." Enjoyed a nice quiet day at the museum the following day before departing to MCD. I have a photo right in front of those pumps!

Back