What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aera Compass

On the main menu page go to tools page, then setup page, then map page, then compass arc, turn on, touch and hold back button until you get to main menu.

If your unit is set for north up on ground it will not display the compass arc on the ground. Scroll down on map page to turn off that function.

Last edited:
Ralphie, thank you very much!! I had the north up activated! stupid me!! Thank you again!
Moura

You are welcome.

How do you like your 560? I absolutely love mine. Best GPS I've owned and I've owned them all :D

You are welcome.

How do you like your 560? I absolutely love mine. Best GPS I've owned and I've owned them all :D

Of course, I haven't yet figured out why you prefer it over the 696, unless it's a case of size/weight, and the fact that you can't transfer the 696 to your car or put it in your shirt pocket.

I previously owned the 296 & 496. I much prefer the 696 because of the much larger screen size. I have 12 fields of information on the top, as well as as a very ample map size. I like the twist/push knob, and sun-light readibility... is as good as it gets. It's easy to view in all sunlight conditions.
I just wouldn't be happy going back to a smaller screen.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Of course, I haven't yet figured out why you prefer it over the 696,
I use both the 696 and Aera 560 when I fly. The Aera is quicker to use to locate waypoints, airport info...etc with a touch of the screen.

Hey I love my 696 too. I just get more use out of my Aera :D

When Garmin introduces a touch screen 696 (or equivalent) I will be first in line to buy it :p

Last edited:
Download from FliteStar

Has anybody figured out how to download a flight plan from Jepp's FliteStar to an Aera. I do it all the time with my 496 and 696, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it with my 510.

I use the 496 and 696 at work, and love both of them. The 696 has the great display, but for me the 496 is easier to get around on.

I use the 510 in my own plane, because of it's size and weight, an important consideration in a homebuilt. But I don't really like touch screens, so I just kind of live it rather than like it.

RV-8, Long-EZ

Has anybody figured out how to download a flight plan from Jepp's FliteStar to an Aera. I do it all the time with my 496 and 696, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it with my 510.

Hi,
I am experiencing the same problem with my aera 550.
Contacting Flitestar/Jeppesen and Garmin war useless. Did not receive a single response.
Any solutions guys?

BTW. Computer detects my Garmin correctly.
When trying to establish a connection between flitestar and my garmin a message in flitestar shows up: Could not connect to GPS. Can?t get Garmin model/version number.
My settings are USB, Garmin protocol.

Andreas
RV-6 flying

I use both the 696 and Aera 560 when I fly. The Aera is quicker to use to locate waypoints, airport info...etc with a touch of the screen.

Hey I love my 696 too. I just get more use out of my Aera :D

When Garmin introduces a touch screen 696 (or equivalent) I will be first in line to buy it :p

I read you on the red board. Have you bought and are ready to put the new Garmin up on a Ralphie charity sale. The items you sell and donate a portion to charity are very commendable. Ialso value your opinions on GPS and Garmin owes you for my 560 purchase.

Back