What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Segway Ninebot for RV transportation

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Starting a new thread regarding take along transportation for the RV's.
The cell phone folks in China have purchased the rights to Segway and now market the Ninebot mini pro. It is hitting the mainstream due to features and more importantly a realistic price point around $600.
Timing has been unfortunate due to the fire history with the skateboard looking lithium powered hoverboards. They have been mis-identified by the public and adoption is lagging when it comes to the mini pro.
Back to the Ninebot--- It is UL tested and not likely to cause any fire hazard.
For RV owners, I think they will catch on. I have been testing one for 6 months and carry it in a rolling duffle bag in the baggage compartment.
For those hesitant to ride due to balance or mobility issues, they are relatively stable. A handle can be added for those who don't like to rely solely on knee steering. I have yet to take a spill or get out a bandage. And I am considered a senior citizen. I learned on the Segway X2 offroad machines and think they are a hoot out in the woods. The price point was the big hurdle from the day they were released by Dean Kamen.
I suggest watching some youtube videos of the Ninebot mini pro and giving it some consideration. I can land in Ramona, CA where there are no taxi cabs and ride all the way into town to the hotel. Charge it up and I am ready to find dinner and also head back to the airport in the morning. 25 pounds with a quick release removable upper section and it packs in the 9A with ease.
I pack for short trips with a backpack rather than roll aboard... to facilitate the Segway riding. It does not seem to affect my balance at all.
Thanks for enduring the long post. Good luck with your alternatives to folding bikes and unicycles.

I would second this recommendation. I bought one for my 11 year old for Christmas and when I can get him off of it and ride it myself it really is a hoot. The mini pro is easy to ride for sure, my only caveat is to use care when mounting and dismounting it. The range is something like 11 miles on a single charge. I found this to be fairly accurate, though r?nge will depend on the terrain and weight of the operator. Speaking of which, the top recommended weight is around 200 pounds.

I would second this recommendation. I bought one for my 11 year old for Christmas and when I can get him off of it and ride it myself it really is a hoot. The mini pro is easy to ride for sure, my only caveat is to use care when mounting and dismounting it. The range is something like 11 miles on a single charge. I found this to be fairly accurate, though r?nge will depend on the terrain and weight of the operator. Speaking of which, the top recommended weight is around 200 pounds.

200 # ? Well that eliminates 78% of us.😜

Very cool device! It's a shame that they're prohibited at AirVenture! That's the most walking I do on pavement annually and would love to use one there for the week. :mad: Probably wouldn't put 10 miles on it the rest of the year in my neck of the woods.

200 # ? Well that eliminates 78% of us.😜

Also, looks like the Ninebot mini pro is on sale at Fry's Electronics right now for $599 until Feb 18th. And at Amazon.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a Ninebot One or similar one-wheeler? Even more compact (for us RV-12 owners). A little spendy, to be sure, if you need two of them -- which would also max out the baggage capacity of a 12.

OK, so maybe I don't care after all. :confused: Just curious if anyone has tried one.

I dunno though. Knowing the way my luck runs, a battery would last just far enough to guarantee I'd have to hoof it back carrying a 25# dead weight. I figure it's God's way of telling me I need more exercise.

Has anyone tried a Ninebot One or similar one-wheeler? Even more compact (for us RV-12 owners). A little spendy, to be sure, if you need two of them -- which would also max out the baggage capacity of a 12.

OK, so maybe I don't care after all. :confused: Just curious if anyone has tried one.

I dunno though. Knowing the way my luck runs, a battery would last just far enough to guarantee I'd have to hoof it back carrying a 25# dead weight. I figure it's God's way of telling me I need more exercise.

I have WATCHED guys trying to learn the single wheel device - very entertaining. I am sure it can be picked up with practice, but its a totally different animal than the mini Segway. I love mine - no real balance required, very intuitive.

Paul

I have two of them and throw them in the plane all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight limit; I'm 240lbs and I've ridden mine off a curb with no ill effects.

FWIW I know this is not a folding bike bashing thread, but really a bike - any bike - is better transportation than a battery powered anything. Unlimited mileage, refuel with beer and pizza. No penalties.:p

not abashed

Other than my RV, I find a good bicycle to be the best thing ever invented...
Love them and own 7.
BUT, I have tried the folding bikes and had some success with one on board in the baggage area of the 9A.
I can fit two Segway Ninebots in the same space.
I learned years ago at Oshkosh.... never to drink beer. Someone always had a cool plane around for a ride... but my fellow pilots had to decline due to alcohol consumption. I would jump up and go.
So, I fuel my Segway on cheese and coal generated electricity.

FWIW I know this is not a folding bike bashing thread, but really a bike - any bike - is better transportation than a battery powered anything. Unlimited mileage, refuel with beer and pizza. No penalties.:p
Absolutely correct. What I'm looking for is a solution that would allow packing conveyance(s) for two people into the baggage area of an RV-12, which of course has half its space occupied by fuel.

After the research I've done, I have decided that there's only one really practical option for locations without a courtesy car.
19034013266-e1487356674384.jpg

After the research I've done, I have decided that there's only one really practical option for locations without a courtesy car.
And when it comes right down to it, in warmer months you don't even need those.

And when it comes right down to it, in warmer months you don't even need those.
I do. My tender feet don't like gravel, sharp rocks and broken glass. Or concrete and asphalt in the summer sun, for that matter. I do have a lighter weight option I use in hot weather, better cooling...
keenf256109_402930_jb1.jpg

No way I am going cross country at 185 miles per hour and then walking 5 miles to the hotel. If it isn't Uber, its Segway.

Last edited:
I looked at the ninebot last year, but never pulled the trigger.
It would come in handy going to the bahamas when its $20 for every taxi ride.
Plus, exploring the island becomes a really cool event.

I'm getting close to buying one.:cool:

I get really dangerous when I start doing alot of product research. :rolleyes:
Most reviews are 4.5 stars positive.

Sorry Mike but my CG goes bad when I have a motorcycle in the baggage area.:D

Last edited:
Another motorized option is an electric skateboard.

Pros:
Lighter,
Faster,
Longer range,
and you might remember how to use it from when you were younger.

Cons:
Longer,
more expensive.

Dave

Another motorized option is an electric skateboard.

Pros:
Lighter,
Faster,
Longer range,
and you might remember how to use it from when you were younger.

Cons:
Longer,
more expensive.

Dave

I never skateboarded (successfully), but I'd be surprised if they have a 15 mile range like the mini Seg. And the big plus of the Segway - it balances FOR you!

apples, oranges and segway machines

Based on the Swagtron photo.... and videos I have watched of the Hoverboard types in action.... we are not comparing the same thing.
The Ninebot acts just like a full sized Segway.... without handles that reach full height. It is still based on the lean steer technique. It is just done with the thighs, just below the knees. You grip the upright with your legs and lean to go left and right. Tilting forward and backwards controls speed and fore and aft motion. All balance is done by the gyros and independent motors. It does lack the redundancy of the full size machines. They have dual winding motors, independent batteries and dual computers. (oh, and range from 4K dollars used up to 6K new) Batteries are equally pricey.
The hoverboards are very tricky to balance on... from my observation.
When the upper arm is taken off the Ninebot (quick disconnect lever) it is much the same as a hoverboard in size. Ten inch wheels that are pneumatic allow regular bumps in the road to be negotiated. Mounting and dismounting is fairly simple, as the gyro does not activate until you step on.
One unit would certainly fit a four. Two might take some compromising.... but I hear REI has some really lightweight toothbrushes.

forgot one more factor

I forgot to add that I think the weight limit is mostly theoretical. I have let lots of people try mine out. I would guess 240 has been tops.
It would be hard to find anyone in engineering or sales in China that weighed that much... so they pegged the limit pretty low. (mostly tongue in cheek... so don't yell at me)

Based on the Swagtron photo.... and videos I have watched of the Hoverboard types in action.... we are not comparing the same thing.
The Ninebot acts just like a full sized Segway.... without handles that reach full height. It is still based on the lean steer technique. It is just done with the thighs, just below the knees. You grip the upright with your legs and lean to go left and right. Tilting forward and backwards controls speed and fore and aft motion. All balance is done by the gyros and independent motors. It does lack the redundancy of the full size machines. They have dual winding motors, independent batteries and dual computers. (oh, and range from 4K dollars used up to 6K new) Batteries are equally pricey.
The hoverboards are very tricky to balance on... from my observation.
When the upper arm is taken off the Ninebot (quick disconnect lever) it is much the same as a hoverboard in size. Ten inch wheels that are pneumatic allow regular bumps in the road to be negotiated. Mounting and dismounting is fairly simple, as the gyro does not activate until you step on.
One unit would certainly fit a four. Two might take some compromising.... but I hear REI has some really lightweight toothbrushes.

The fact that it's "like a full-size Segway" is a bit of a turn-off for me. If the Swagtron (and other hoverboards) can be maneuvered without the upright thing, what's the advantage of having one on the Ninebot? I have never owned a hoverboard, but a kid at my RC flying field let me try his for a few minutes and it was not that hard to get the hang of. I'm quite sure I can get completely comfortable with it in an hour or less. That upright thing on the Ninebot just takes up too much space in my opinion. The bigger wheels do look useful for off-road surfaces, but besides that, I don't see any other advantages to the Ninebot compared to the Swagtron. Is there anything else I'm missing? My mission is to have something simple, small, lightweight, and practically useable to get around with when we land at places without ground transportation. Fancy functions and Bluetooth, etc. are not necessary and in fact unwanted for my purposes.

Subtle

Well, I think it is subtle and hard to describe... but I will try.
On a segway type platform the feet are positioned on one solid rectangle so to speak. The first reaction of most new riders is to rock fore and aft. I believe this is the brains response to a perceived fall or lack of balance. It goes away quickly. Standing perfectly still for a while usually convinces our balance sensors that their job has been taken over by a machine. After that, slight shifts in CG make the forward and backwards travel simple.
A hoverboard, on the other hand is split. One foot is tilting forward while the other is titlting backwards in order to command a turn. Without a turn... simple forward CG shift makes you accelerate to the front. I believe it is this complexity that increases the learning curve. That and the fact that stepping on creates a situation that the two halves of the rider surface are not loaded equally. Most falls I have seen happen right at the point of trying to get on and balance. Don't know if that description helps or not.
A second ugly reality is the low cost battery management system on some import hoverboards. The fire risk has been publicized and bans instituted.
These are not affecting the Ninebot. They claim UL approved charging and management. Maybe an owner of both types of machines can weigh in here and offer a direct comparison. With the Segway proprietary technology now for sale a Sam's Club and elsewhere for around $600, it made sense for me. Your mileage and ER visits may vary!

This might be of interest. Of course you'd have to get accustomed to skateboards....
That strikes me as the most compact option... And two wouldn't take much more space than one, as you could nest them wheels-to-wheels. The only downside I can see is the small wheels, which would pretty much exclude any rough-surface operation.

Near me I regularly see a kid on one of the hoverboard-style devices going to/from school. He's clearly got a lot of practise time on it. I've watched him roll up and down sidewalk ramps to cross the street, over manhole covers, sidewalk cracks, etc. and it doesn't seem to affect his travel in any way that is noticeable. Maybe he's just acting nonchalant and his brain is going "holy cr*p" every two seconds, I don't know.

3 mph,
2-3 mile radius,
500 mile life,
Can be recharged with a snack in flight.

The main issue is the comparatively slow speed. However this can be partially mitigated (not 100% of the time, though) with this add-on accessory:

nqp99u.jpg

Dave

That upright thing on the Ninebot just takes up too much space in my opinion. The bigger wheels do look useful for off-road surfaces, but besides that, I don't see any other advantages to the Ninebot compared to the Swagtron. .

The upright/knee support control is removable so as not to be an issue while transporting. The 10" wheels enable the user to navigate over divots in the road or sidewalk vs launching the rider. The pneumatic tires have some give to absorb the divots.

Last edited:
This might be of interest. Of course you'd have to get accustomed to skateboards....

Dave

If I were traveling by myself, that would definitely be the best option. I used to skate when I was a kid (over 30 years ago!), so I would require a few days to the hang of it again, but should be fun! But the chances of my wife willing to learn how to skate is probably next to zero.

Or maybe skateboard for me and hover-board for her! =)

3 mph,
2-3 mile radius,
500 mile life,
Can be recharged with a snack in flight.

The main issue is the comparatively slow speed. However this can be partially mitigated (not 100% of the time, though) with this add-on accessory:

nqp99u.jpg

Dave

The 3mph and 2-3mile radius is definitely the limiting factor. But I love the add-on option! We used it when we flew into Big Bear last week. Works great! :D

Worked for us in Angel Fire, NM. Only took 20 seconds for someone to stop.

No other transportation options we could find. For the 3 miles back to the airport after skiiing all day, we ordered a pizza in town to be delivered and rode with the delivery driver.

Loving the memories the RV is helping create!

Z3oJNsC__jcjuayNLjCjSa1APQazv3_slKBzwYMWzHeeYhUiZsd5nR_qyJzuvfxwldXEWooCwAlOCt9qRx-df8up0vVFS0IU3DNQnX0JTbqhVHCn33o4IKkAR7AI3T40vAz_P86Hk2fXinmUfYssNHawhMJgM2Md_MSUe_hbK_oN5b8EXe1kmbWegb9ZI_4vABdFTqfMnNaK13lTh9v56VHPkRc_K5XewdTJ05Sp6eDZD_ixCYIka6KtU72sn2A3nSHz1O7MrZn1z3j8rZVfe4XLRShy4QleyvZv9cb7-N2M9n7FhAZ8xyBQgi66TaePGBNOIXHJeEXi_z6diywC-dbKcXmRShiLUVRYAnZWXtlCCstNP2bPJS83kT6ohZoZ6GZT62w5vm7PQy9s1qwAvnrd6jhF519se7uH_PI3lTfIgpQMTWMBnXG52c3gIeYFaIG6S3wnL5ds4er4XJiywGKJ49tqtKH6AB2XMGN2YHRcjY-1o720EkBzoAAbm8R52TamVolOvxJOrcZqhTmZiHsLPupWiauRkGr9nDnU6LJXEL5nKOxTb4_y_Ublr0zs6Ij3dfkl-UjRHtThZgBYRfIuAYbsRaJ2eskaUaWosefw8M5edzXPYg=s950-no

Seen a Ninebot

A couple of teenagers in my neighborhood have these. I'd seen them whizzing around lately and talked to them today. The kids are around 14 or 15, I suppose.

They said the things take some balance at low speeds while you're learning.

They also estimated a five hour learning period.

I picked up one of the devices. It weighs around 30 pounds and with the add-ons they have for it (side pads and handle) is bulkier than I'd expected. But it would fit into an RV-3 baggage compartment.

Theirs are totally wrapped in duct tape to protect against scratches and gouges. And there are some. Due to the duct tape, I'm not sure these are Ninebots or clones.

I didn't think to ask what they do with them when they go to a store or someplace.

Dave

Last edited:
A couple of teenagers in my neighborhood have these. I'd seen them whizzing around lately and talked to them today. The kids are around 14 or 15, I suppose.

They said the things take some balance at low speeds while you're learning.

They also estimated a five hour learning period.

I picked up one of the devices. It weighs around 30 pounds and with the add-ons they have for it (side pads and handle) is bulkier than I'd expected. But it would fit into an RV-3 baggage compartment.

Theirs are totally wrapped in duct tape to protect against scratches and gouges. And there are some. Due to the duct tape, I'm not sure these are Ninebots or clones.

I didn't think to ask what they do with them when they go to a store or someplace.

Dave

If it took a kid 5 hours to learn it, I doubt its a Ninebot - or those are unusual kids! It took me about 30 seconds to feel comfortable on it. It took our 92 year old friend about a minute or two.

I had mine in the forward baggage compartment of the -8 with plenty of room to spare last weekend, and I have previously had it in the back. Yup - it should fit in the -3.

Paul

Very cool device! It's a shame that they're prohibited at AirVenture! That's the most walking I do on pavement annually and would love to use one there for the week. :mad: Probably wouldn't put 10 miles on it the rest of the year in my neck of the woods.

Soooo much 4-wheel traffic at airventure that you constantly ate on guard when walking the main roads. Probably real mayhem if everyone was on a Ninebot, but wish they would limit the traffic a bit.

Swagtron T5 for sale

Hey guys. I have a brand new Swagtron T5 I bought a few months ago up for sale. I have only used a couple of times in my living room and driveway. It's super easy to ride. Even my wife got the hang of it and she's no athlete. We have an RV4 and there's no way two of these will fit in the baggage compartment and still be within CG limits with a passenger in the back. (They're over 20lbs each)

So it's up for sale for $200. Please PM or email me if interested. Thanks.

Here's a photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XXrCYpP8guNDFOaUJtRFhrWUk/view?usp=sharing

More info here: http://www.target.com/p/swagtron-15...hMjV_iDJuYn8ido9bJioxhoC-ufw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If it took a kid 5 hours to learn it, I doubt its a Ninebot - or those are unusual kids! It took me about 30 seconds to feel comfortable on it. It took our 92 year old friend about a minute or two.

I had mine in the forward baggage compartment of the -8 with plenty of room to spare last weekend, and I have previously had it in the back. Yup - it should fit in the -3.

Paul

I think David's talking about the ninebot one - it's a unicycle and as such, has a significantly steeper learning curve than the 2 wheeled boards

Ninebot-One-Whell-in-action1.png

I finally joined the ninebot mini club last week.
It's a lot of fun & only took a few minutes to feel comfortable with the ride. Now, I just need my wife to get on it.
I see this as a great way to get around & I'm looking forward to our next bahamas or keys trip.
Not too sure if I could have ridden the One.

Last edited:
I joined the nine bot club also. I also got the handle with a quick release. No problem fitting 2 in the 10.

Gary

I bought one about 3 months ago. Made the mistake of taking it to the grandkids in NC. Now guess l ll have to buy another if I want one. They are easy to ride even for a 67 yo. Would be good AP transportation although they have aquired the skateboard restrictions for many places i would like to be able to ride one.

Yeah, that's mine. Thanks!! The scheme is starting to get around. I based mine on a very similar -7 in dark blue, and at Osh last year saw it in a burgundy/red that looked pretty good.

Paul, is that your RV-7? I absolutely love the paint scheme!

Back