What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

snap bushing callout

LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
I have searched - nothing found, new post

I am using the current revision 1

12-04 Step 3 "enlarge lower fwd systems hole as shown in figure 1"

Figure 1 calls for 7/16" - SB437-4 or 1/2" - SB500-6 yet the callouts in figure 2 show SB375-4 (requires 3/8" hole).

Since the revision changed the callouts on this very page, what goes there? Is the callout correct(SB375-4) or is the Figure 1 correct and should I be placing SB437-4 here?

**edit** I added up the total required bushings based on what the plans call for and none of the numbers match up with the quantity shipped/nor the quantity listed in the inventory. I was hoping to use that as a guide for which bushings went where. I am not worried about the hardware, I just want to drill the correct holes!

Last edited:
Sorry, sent that premature. We installed bushings based on page 12-04 figure 2 revision 1 for the left wing and 12-05 figure 1 revision 1 for the right. I threw out the original pages so don't know what they showed. We needed more of the SB500-6 bushings then they sent to finish the right wing. When I e-mailed Vans they sent me the additional snap bushings I needed.

I really have very little idea of what I am doing so keep that in mind!

Mike

In my case, I decided to change and adapt the SB call outs based on what you can see on Section 17.0 instead of those indicated in Section 12.0. Reason for that is quite simple; why should I install a snap bushing that is larger than necessary? I have selected the SB size after threading the wire harnesses through the SB's (just to try it out) as the cable run had to go through the ribs as per figures found in Section 17.0. Did that for both wings. Besides, I didn't like the idea of a pneumatic line rattling in a hole being to large.

Also, if you decide to install say, a Dynon heated Pitot/AOA + backup PFD instrument (that is my choice) in your panel, you will run out of system holes. Taking the left wing as an example, you need one hole (.500in) for the 2 wire harnesses, one hole (.375in) for the Pitot line "out", from the ADAHRS unit to you panel, one hole (.375in) for the AOA line "out" from the ADAHRS again to your panel and finally, one hole (.375in) for the "Static" line TO the ADAHRS. That makes a total of 4 SB on the first 8 wing ribs. i called Van's few days ago to confirm the 4th hole and Sterling said it'll be fine.

Right wing is much simpler. I started with .500in SB then followed by .437in and a few last with .375in

In my case, I decided to change and adapt the SB call outs based on what you can see on Section 17.0 instead of those indicated in Section 12.0. Reason for that is quite simple; why should I install a snap bushing that is larger than necessary? I have selected the SB size after threading the wire harnesses through the SB's (just to try it out) as the cable run had to go through the ribs as per figures found in Section 17.0. Did that for both wings. Besides, I didn't like the idea of a pneumatic line rattling in a hole being to large.

Also, if you decide to install say, a Dynon heated Pitot/AOA + backup PFD instrument (that is my choice) in your panel, you will run out of system holes. Taking the left wing as an example, you need one hole (.500in) for the 2 wire harnesses, one hole (.375in) for the Pitot line "out", from the ADAHRS unit to you panel, one hole (.375in) for the AOA line "out" from the ADAHRS again to your panel and finally, one hole (.375in) for the "Static" line TO the ADAHRS. That makes a total of 4 SB on the first 8 wing ribs. i called Van's few days ago to confirm the 4th hole and Sterling said it'll be fine.

Right wing is much simpler. I started with .500in SB then followed by .437in and a few last with .375in

that's good to know, I figured there would be an issue like that down the road. For now though, I just went with the diagram, will tackle all that later. Thanks for posting.

Go with the flow

OK, I will just stick with the callouts. I figure extra room is fine, not enough can be fixed later too!.

Back