What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Aileron Fitting

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
I have a question for the group about aileron alignment on the RV14 wing. When I line everything up with the bellcrank jig and the aileron jig in the neutral position, the aileron is titled up a little. Like at a lower angle of incidence than the wing it's attached to. It doesn't follow the same profile as the main wing ribs. The aileron sort of swoops up in relation to the wing when aligned. Is this normal, or have I done something wrong? I'm ready to drill my wingtips in place, but need to make sure the ailerons and aileron bellcrank are in the correct position so the tips align too. The wingtip rib that will be riveted in the wingtip aft end has a contour change in it, so maybe that's the way the ailerons are supposed to line up, but it's different than my RV8 & 6, so I want to be certain. I tried calling Vans, but it was a few minutes past 5:00 on Friday and nobody was home (I don't blame them, I'd be gone too....). If anybody has any insight, such as RV10 builders, please share.

Thanks,

The RV-10 (and 14) use an airfoil shape that has the ailerons and flaps reflexed for cruise flight.

This is evident in the wing tip shape.

Thanks... that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure before drilling my tips. It looked a little odd when I first lined things up.

Also

If it is like the -10, the ailerons move a little, both in the same direction, when the stick is moved fore or aft.
You must align the ailerons with the elevators held neutral.

Back