What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how many hours/year

How many RV hours a year do you fly?

• 1-25 hrs

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • 25-50 hrs

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • 50-75 hrs

Votes: 28 16.9%
  • 75-100 hrs

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • >100 hrs

Votes: 83 50.0%

• Total voters

prkaye

Well Known Member
***PLEASE DO NOT VOTE IF YOU ARE NOT ACTIVELY FLYING AN RV - FIRST POLL OPTION SHOULD BE 1-25 HOURS/YEAR***
I did my first flight over a month ago, and I still only have around 5 hrs on the plane. I'm lucky if I can get out there to fly once a week... more than that is a challenge. I figure I'll be lucky to get 50hrs/year on my plane. I'm actually fine with that... just means it'll be longer before I have to do major repairs or an overhaul (at 50 hours a year it'll be at least 30 yeas before I need a major engine overhaul!).
I'm curious though, for those of you guys who are actively flying your RVs, how many hours a year do you get on it? What's your life situation re:job, kids etc and how do you work your flying time in?
I'm attaching a Poll for the numbers.

Last edited:
I had to check 0-25 since I have not purchased my RV yet. Trying to get rid of one of my certified planes first :)

Fortunately

I have been averaging about 160 hours a year.

I practice formation and/or acro a couple days a week and during airshow season I travel to different venues around the country.

I also do a fair amount of traveling since I live in Georgia and have family in Texas and Wisconsin. This year we tooks trips from Dahlonega to Austin, to Key West, to Cape Girardeau, to Milwaukee, to Oshkosh. Still have one more trip to Lycoming Pennsylvania planned and then the traveling season will be winding down.

Being retired doesn't hurt either :)

RV Therapy!

I finished my 7a with first flight 9-7-07 and have 580 hrs on it,,, however I'm working to finish my RV10 (10-10?) and have not been flying as much,, RV building and flying is Therapy!
Kenny Gene
294TC RV7a 9-07 580 hrs
484TC RV10 finishing

I should have made the first line of the poll "1-25 hours" since I don't want to skew the results with people who aren't flying an RV at all.
Is it possible to modify the headings for the poll options? I don't see a way to do this...

300 hours in the past 2 years and 2 months. I work from home so I can sneak over for an early flight during the week. I also don't have any kids and the wife says I'm more pleasant to be around if I've flown recently.

So far the aircraft has 114 airborne hours including first flight. As many of my flights are relatively short, my actual log-book time is greater - nearer 140hrs. I still have two weeks to go before the anniversary of my first solo flight so I can pack a few more hours in. I try to fly both days at weekends. Longer trips have been to the island of Mull (about 2 hours 15 mins each way, weather was a bit "challenging") off the northwest Scottish coast, to Northern France (about 1 hour 20 mins each way), and around Wales. Apart from those trips, probably my longest flights are the monthly formation school, with two flights of just over an hour each, plus the 45 minute transits to and from North Weald.

In an RV the United Kingdom just isn't that big! Next summer I am planning to fly around north-west France for a week or so and hope to make a few longer trips eg to Germany or Sweden.

Chris:D:D:D

I fly almost daily

resulting in about 275 hrs/yr. I got hooked on formation flying and can usually get a 3 or 4 ship formation together several times a week. Long trips this year include the Olney RV Fly-in, Brownwood formation clinic, Houston, CO Springs, Mountain Home ID, OSH, and plan to attend L.O.E.

Bill
RV-7 N151WP
Barrett IO-390
Lee's Summit, MO

seems there ............

should of been some higher categories. i have averaged about 350 hours / year for the pass 11 years flying the rv. 200 hrs/ year flying helicopters past 5 years. this flying is addictive.

Last edited:
yup - you need some higher categories when dealing with RV'ers Phil!

For me, it's about 250 - 300 hours per year on my -8. Since Louise and I got married, some of my flying has transfered to the -6, and I find that living at an airpark, I fly about 260 days/year. I fly more often (almost every day I am home), but for shorter times (a good 25 minute acro session after work really helps put the world right!).

Paul

Weather & work limited...

...to 50-75 hrs. per year. When I retire and spend (at least) winters somewhere beside the NW I hope it will be more.

LarryT

About 150/hrs year, 4-5 times/week.
The airport is on my way home from work so many times I'll fly for about 15 mins. Great therapy.

I had to vote 50-75 hours because my flight time was limited by a panel upgrade and way too many business trips out of the country. Now that the panel is done, I would expect over 100 hours a year.:)

75 hours since first flight, that was 6 month ago. Now that spring is coming I thing I am going to flight some more. I think I am going to fly from 150 to 200 a year:D

Sometimes more, sometimes less

In the last 15 years (1st flight Oct '95) I have flown 1116.6 hours tach time.
Thats 75. hours per year average, but I have had some 150 hour years :D and some 36 hour years :(

Back