What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

another newbie

falconer

received the empennage kit as well as the airfoil pratice kit from Vans. One quick question on how to dimple the holes located near the trailing edge. I can dimple all of the holes except for the last couple of holes. How are they dimpled?

tzg55.jpg

Csk rib TE

There are a number of different ways/tools to do this. One is a pull type countersink die, another is a cantilever type countersink die. Us the SEARCH utility, you'll find lots of references to this. Also have a look on the tool supplier's websites such as Cleaveland and look on their videos.

William,

We are just about neighbors, PM'd you my info. I'm done with the airframe components sans fitting canopy.

Would love to meet you!

In the Practice kit instructions there is a small dimpling bucking bar to make. Once made it makes dimpling the above holes real easy and cost next to nothing. Bolt it to the work bench, slide rib over it then sit the male dimple die over it in the shaft of a C frame. A quick wack with a hammer and dimple formed.
Enjoy

By the way, the dimples I see in your photo are improperly done. You need to adust your squeezer to apply more force in forming the dimples so that they are crisp and do not distort the skin around them.

This can be achieved by either increasing or or decreasing the squeezer stroke position to optimize the force. Try it on scrap.

Please get this right or you will regret it later on. See debate on countersinking elsewhere on VAF.

Last edited:
Back