What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView HDX 10" Displays Now Shipping

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
No trick here. This Halloween, we have a treat....

Dynon_Halloween_wide_web_650.jpg

Dynon is excited to announce the availability of 10" SkyView HDX displays.

HDX-10in-AngleDisplay-LR-shipping_web_650.jpg

First previewed at Oshkosh AirVenture 2016, SkyView HDX features improved displays, beautiful design, unrivaled control ergonomics, and an upgraded touch interface. SkyView HDX displays are compatible with all existing SkyView modules and feature identical electrical connections.

SkyView HDX will be available in both 7? and 10? touchscreen versions. The 10? SV-HDX1100 - which begins shipping today - is priced at $4,490.00. The 7? SV-HDX800 - available soon - will be priced at $3,190.00.

The following new SkyView HDX 10" part numbers are currently available:

10price.PNG

The following SkyView HDX 7" displays are expected to be available in the coming weeks:

7pricing.PNG

I saw these at Copperstate Fly-in and really liked the new bezel edges to grip during turbulence, the new menu structure and really liked the EMS gauges on the bottom.

I've had this on my ACS wish list since the made it available on their site. It's now on order but shows no stock east or west (expected).

It's great that they are shipping, and it's in the fall as promised. I've been flying a pre-production unit for a few weeks and love the way it works.

Mounting options

Dynon,

Great to see this is shipping.

There was some discussion of a black mounting plate that would cover up the lower portion of the cutout if you were upgrading from the original Skyview. Is that still something you guys are working on.

Thanks
Gary

My demonunit came with one. I can't speak to whether they are coming with the new units or not, but I'd be willing to bet they are available.

I've had this on my ACS wish list since the made it available on their site. It's now on order but shows no stock east or west (expected).

We're just starting to ship now. None of our dealers are stocked yet, so that's expected.

Dynon,

Great to see this is shipping.

There was some discussion of a black mounting plate that would cover up the lower portion of the cutout if you were upgrading from the original Skyview. Is that still something you guys are working on.

Yes. In fact, one comes with every HDX display.

pics

I designed my panel for two 10" Skyview Touch displays but haven't bought the units yet. Can someone show a picture of one of these new HDX units installed in a cutout intended for the previous 10" displays?

Cut out

Joe,
If you go to the Dynon website under documentation they have the panel cut out requirements for both. The new HDX has a PDF and the legacy Skyview is .dfx or you can just look in the Skyview installation manual. The width is the same but the panel cutout looks to be approx .5" smaller. The new unit is canted on the bottom. Looking straight on you really don't see the difference but from the side or looking up from a lower angle the additional .5" is visable.

Gary

Upgrade question

Assuming the HDX is running the new software is there any issue with a dual setup with dissimilar software. Plan on only replacing the left screen in a dual screen setup.

Thanks
Gary

The version 15 software is not posted yet, but I presume it will be soon. It is being shipped on all HDX displays. For now, the Skyview classic/touch is compatible with the same panel as an HDX, but that is not promised long-term. As it is, they menu structure and the whole though process of the displays is completely different, so someone who hasn't bought their screens yet would not want to mix them. Either go with the classic/touch or the HDX. The classic/touch is still a fantastic system, and is even better with the version 15 software. I presume that there will be these screens available on the used market for a more reasonable price soon, since some people just have to have the latest and greatest.

For those who have 2 screens and want to upgrade 1 of them, I would r commend that you come up with a roadmap to upgrade both before too long, and plan for the cash flow needs to do so and expect that someday you will be forced to do so by incompatibility between the classic/touch and the HDX.

The HDX is virtually a drop-in replacement. The top two holes for your 10" classic/touch screen also hold the HDX (you'll need to use the longer screws included with the HDX. Once you install those two screws, you can match drill the bottom two HDX holes and either run a tap (don't drill bigger than #36 if you plan to tap) through the holes for 6-32 threads. Only do this if you have thick enough screen metal for strong tapped holes. Otherwise drill #27 and install a nut plate or nutsert (with whatever size hole they require).

For now, I say Kudos to Dynon for meeting their target ship window, for making th HDX completely pin-for-pin compatible and for making the new screens virtually drop-in replacements.

I designed my panel for two 10" Skyview Touch displays but haven't bought the units yet. Can someone show a picture of one of these new HDX units installed in a cutout intended for the previous 10" displays?

Yes, the HDX cutout is a bit shorter. If you're upgrading, or have a panel cut for the previous displays, we have a little cover plate that fills the gap in a way that makes it look like the panel was cut for the HDX in the first place. I'll post some pictures momentarily.

Joe,
If you go to the Dynon website under documentation they have the panel cut out requirements for both. The new HDX has a PDF and the legacy Skyview is .dfx or you can just look in the Skyview installation manual. The width is the same but the panel cutout looks to be approx .5" smaller. The new unit is canted on the bottom. Looking straight on you really don't see the difference but from the side or looking up from a lower angle the additional .5" is visable.

Here are a few photos of an HDX display mounted in one of our old classic SkyView demo panels. As you can see, when you look straight on, you can't see anything. Even when looking from below, it completely fills the former gap.

Assuming the HDX is running the new software is there any issue with a dual setup with dissimilar software. Plan on only replacing the left screen in a dual screen setup.

We had previously hoped to support a mixed panel scenario, but HDX and non-HDX displays will not be able to be mixed in a panel. So, the full matrix of possible displays are:

SkyView Classic and Touch can be mixed and matched.
SkyView SE only works with other SE displays.
SkyView HDX only works with other HDX displays.

We had previously hoped to support a mixed panel scenario, but HDX and non-HDX displays will not be able to be mixed in a panel. So, the full matrix of possible displays are:

SkyView Classic and Touch can be mixed and matched.
SkyView SE only works with other SE displays.
SkyView HDX only works with other HDX displays.

This is very sad news. I will have to cancel my HDX order if i cannot install it with my current SV1000T.

A SkyView Classic and SkyView HDX can both be installed, but independently of each other. The advantage of independent systems is that a failure of any one component will not take out both displays. Maybe Dynon will offer free Navigation Mapping Software for buyers of a second Skyview system and offer a discount on a ADAHRS module and other components.

A SkyView Classic and SkyView HDX can both be installed, but independently of each other. The advantage of independent systems is that a failure of any one component will not take out both displays. Maybe Dynon will offer free Navigation Mapping Software for buyers of a second Skyview system and offer a discount on a ADAHRS module and other components.
That would really defeat the purpose of buying a Skyview system in the first place. I understand people want dual ADAHRS and dual screens for redundancy, but if the ADAHRS are on seperate networks you have lost the cross-checking that SKyView does between its' two connected ADAHRS modules.

The same would apply to the EMS, I would want the flexibility to display it on either/both displays as required, which can't be done if the two displays are on independent networks.

I have been following this and dang there is the wrench in this whole discussion, what screen gets to read the EMS if separate, classic, and HDX? can you run a splitter harness or would a bug cross kill to the other system?

It is and was announced in another thread as well as on the Dynon forum.

My browser did not see the updated page until I did CTRL-F5 to force a full reload of the page.

Back