What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Prop Gov from Van's

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
So if you have been following the MT prop gov saga, you are most likely aware that we established that the Hartzell gov for the 540 comes in two flavors:

S-1-26 for narrow decks
S-1-32 for wide decks

We also had established, or I thought we had, that Van's carried both but under the un-intuitive nomenclature in the catalog of O-540 and IO-540 (I say un-intuitive because the fuel delivery system has no bearing on the correct type of gov for a given engine). Any way, thus informed, I ordered the O-540 version under the impression I would get the S-1-26 narrow deck model.

Nope. The box had O-540 written on the outside but also a printed sticker that said S-1-32. My heart sank. I opened the box all the way up to verify ad sure enough it's an S-1-32 wide deck model. So I get to call Van's tomorrow and see what I need to do to return it. I guess I'll also see if they have any S-1-26s still sitting on the shelf. ARGGGHHHHHH.

EDIT: Heard back from Van's -- they do not carry the S-1-26 model. So if you are in search of a prop gov for a narrow deck, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Todd,
I decided on the PCU5000X. The model you will want is the P520-036/A-895 for the narrow deck IO540. The worksheet below should be filled out and emailed to Mac. When I ordered mine on Monday they didn't have any on the shelf and was told it could take up to 10 days. I had it in my hands (Michigan) on Wednesday. As Vic mentioned the install was simple with zero modification to the baffles. I had them set the clocking to 240degrees, still needed to rotate about another 15 degrees CCW to match up. The 2700 MAX RPM was perfect.

Gary

281rog5.jpg
[/IMG]

I had them set the clocking to 240degrees, still needed to rotate about another 15 degrees CCW to match up.

So would the appropriate clocking be 255 degrees or 225 degrees if one wanted to order it right the first time?

Guys, Vans is all about low cost and safety, but there is inconsistency.

I could imagine the discussion of what gov to stock. The narrow or wide. Well if the narrow gov is installed on the wide engine, the set rpm is low, but if the wide gov is installed on the narrow engine - which a lot of the field has done, then the RPM might be 2900. Since this every builder can not know, or even know they should know this, which one would you provide? This logic works for the MT gov as it provides a first start/run safe RPM

BUT, if someone buys the Hartzell for the wide deck and installs on the narrow, case then the RPM could be excessive. So, a bench test or a some high speed taxi testing is required.

All this assumes the hardware is all the same, but the stops and clocking is the only thing that is different.

All this has me thinking about what procedure should be undertaken for before/during first flight since we can not count on RPM control. I will be checking my part numbers, you?

This was posted on the other MT failure thread.

It really depends on your setup, 225 degrees was good for me. It's simple to change. The prop comes with the install directions.

Default PCU5000X VAF Sale
VAF special, is the sales code you need to mention when you order a PCU5000X. The PCU5000X normally sells for $1,600.00 we will be selling to VAF aviators for $1,250.00 plus shipping. Limited time only, deal will expire October 31,2016. Please contact Mac at 1-847-541-1133 ext 108 or [email protected]
Cheers!

Sean O'Keefe
Program Manager
Aero Technologies, LLC
1-847-541-1133 ext 109
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

S-1-26 From Van's

After reading several posts on the forum about the Hartzell S-1-26 governor it seemed that finding one for my recently built BPE narrow deck IO540 was going to be an issue. I wanted to stick with the Hartzell governor as I have familiarity with these on a previous IO540 powered certified that I flew.

Several calls to Hartzell distributors later I found the price to be eye-wateringly close to list at best. As has been posted Van's no longer carries the Hartzell governor for the narrow decks. I found that to be the case. I contacted Hartzell directly and told them about the pricing I was finding and the distributors I had contacted. I sent my contact at Hartzell a link to an announcement from 2009 (http://hartzellprop.com/hartzell-of...ough-vans-catalog-for-rv-series-kit-aircraft/). That announcement indicated that the S-1-26 was available for the same price as the S-1-32 that is still available from Van's. If that pricing was able to be done in 2009 my question to them was why it could still not be done? They committed to look into it. A couple days later I was contacted by Hartzell customer service and told that I should contact Van's customer service and they would have updated pricing. Sure enough, I was able to get the Hartzell S-1-26 for just over the published price of the S-1-32 that is in the catalog. I have the part in hand now (4 - 5 week lead time) and it is the correct governor.

For those who come after me the best pricing I found for the S-1-26, by far, was through Van's. If you have to play the same game I did start with Hartzell customer service. Call them, don't e-mail. With any luck you can contact Van's directly and get the S-1-26. Interestingly the sticker on the box from Van's referred to the O540 governor like other posts indicated it was used on previously. Maybe Van's just forgot they could still get them? Unsure.

Hopefully this saves someone else time and more importantly their hard earned money.

If anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative, I'm selling a brand new, never installed 2016 MT P860-3 for $950 (shipping to anywhere in CONUS included). This prop gov is unaffected by MT SB-31.

I also have a cheaper alternative. It is a Hartzell S-1-15 (wide deck)
The only difference between it and others is that it has the tear drop lever arm instead of the standard arm. (Considered an upgrade). It was provided by Bearhawk in their FWF for a Lyc 540.

This is the PG that rescued me when my MT failed. It has 1.5 hours of operation on it. After I replaced it to the donor with a brand new one, this one was taken to a factory authorized shop where it was disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt with all new gaskets and o-rings, and then bench tested and calibrated. Zero time since.
$900 OBO. All documentation and new main gasket. Save hundreds
602 421-2868

Hartzell Recommendations

Hi, my name is Matt and I work in Hartzell Product Support. I would like to clear up some information on which will be the correct governor for your installation. The first table will show the engines that Van's sells and the applicable Hartzell governor. The second table will help you select the correct governor if you do not have an engine model that is provided from Van's. The S-1-15 mentioned earlier in this thread is no longer provided as a choice from Van's. It had identical characteristics to the S-1-32, but it has a teardrop control instead of a straight control arm.

Van's will sell the S-1-26 governor, but it happens under a special order since they do not stock it or have it on their order form.

Engine---------------------------Prop/Engine RPM----Drive Ratio----Governor RPM----Governor Model----Arm or Teardrop

Experimental O-320 160HP--------2700---------------.866:1--------2340-------------S-1-10-----------Arm
EA XO-320-D1A RT

Experimental IO-320 160HP-------2700---------------.866:1--------2340-------------S-1-10------------Arm
EA XIO-320-D1A RT

Experimental O-360 180HP--------2700---------------.866:1-------2340------------- S-1-10------------Arm
EA XO-360-A1A RT

Experimental IO-360 180HP-------2700---------------.866:1--------2340-------------S-1-10------------Arm
EA XIO-360-M1B RT

Experimental IO-360 200HP-------2700---------------.866:1--------2340-------------S-1-10------------Arm
EA XIO-360-A1B6 RT

Experimental IO-390 210HP-------2700---------------.895:1--------2420--------------S-1-79-----------Arm
EA XIO-390-A3B6 RT

Experimental O-540-A4D5--------2575---------------.895:1--------2300--------------S-1-26-----------Arm
EA XO-540-A4D5

Experimental IO-540 260HP-------2700---------------.947:1--------2560--------------S-1-32-----------Arm
EA XIO-540-D4A5 RT (RV-10 only)

Experimental IO-540 260HP-------2700---------------.947:1--------2560--------------S-1-32-----------Arm
EA XIO-540-D4A5 RT(Y) (RV-10 only)

To use this second table you should first find the engine you have. One thing to note is the narrow deck vs. wide deck. I believe the wide deck engines will have an "A" or "E" suffix on the engine serial number. The narrow deck will not have a suffix. Please, correct me if I am wrong. Narrow deck engines have a governor drive ratio of .895:1 and wide deck engines have a governor drive ratio of .947:1. Then find the row with the RPM your engine is rated for (ex. 2575 or 2700). Make sure the drive ratio matches the engine data on the Lycoming Type Certificate. The correct governor will then be listed. If you have any questions you can email [email protected] or call us.

Engine---------------------------Prop/Engine RPM----Drive Ratio----Governor RPM----Governor Model----Arm or Teardrop

320 and 360 Series---------------2700---------------.866:1--------2340--------------S-1-10-----------Arm
O-540---------------------------2575---------------.895:1--------2300--------------S-1-26-----------Arm
IO-540 Narrow Deck, YIO-390----2700----------------.895:1--------2420--------------S-1-79-----------Arm
I0-540 Wide Deck----------------2700---------------.947:1--------2560--------------S-1-32------------Arm

If you have a governor that is incorrect you have a couple options. If you discover the governor is incorrect before you install it and run it you should be able to exchange it through Van's. If the governor has been installed and run you will have to send it to the Hartzell Service Center or to a prop shop. The prop shop will be able to change the governor to the correct model. This process involves disassembling the governor and changing an internal setting. The governor is then reassembled and tested. This process takes about 2-3 hours, and the only parts that are replaced are the o-rings, gaskets, and screws. If you have any questions you can email [email protected] or call us.

Matt

Last edited:
Matt, welcome to VAF and many thanks for this great information. Doug, we should find a way to make this post (not the whole thread) sticky.

Matt, welcome to VAF and many thanks for this great information. Doug, we should find a way to make this post (not the whole thread) sticky.

Matt,

Help me understand why a IO-540-D4A5 and a O-540-D4A5 would have different governors? Whether I have a carb or fuel injection, shouldn't have any impact on the governor.

thanks,

bob

Bob,

The governor could be different if one is a wide deck and the other is a narrow deck. It all depends on the engine Serial Number.

There are same model engines (ex. IO-540-D4A5) that can be wide deck or narrow deck. BillL is correct in saying it is drive ratio.

Matt

Last edited:
Back