What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A210 connecting to PM1200 intercom

Nvr747

I'm New Here
At the moment we are working on connecting the icom A210 radio to the PM1200 intercom panel but we are running into trouble that we don't understand.
When installing according the pm1200 wdm the radio is connected to the aux jacks of the pm1200.
When connecting to the pilots and co pilots jacks intercom works normal but no tx possible on the radio.
When connecting to the aux jacks tx on radio comes on but no side tone in headset and no vox going out.

Anyone any idea what we are doing wrong?

At the moment we are working on connecting the icom A210 radio to the PM1200 intercom panel but we are running into trouble that we don't understand.
When installing according the pm1200 wdm the radio is connected to the aux jacks of the pm1200.
When connecting to the pilots and co pilots jacks intercom works normal but no tx possible on the radio.
When connecting to the aux jacks tx on radio comes on but no side tone in headset and no vox going out.

The A210 install manual seemed confusing to me so I just drew a my own interface to clarify it. Does this help at all?

Note: For a PM8000BT to A210

What does "wdm" stand for?
What is the part number for the PM1200 intercom?
Can you post a wiring diagram showing how you connected units & pin numbers of both units?
Please provide links to manuals of both units.

Be sure that the pilot's PTT goes to the pilot's mic jack and the copilot PTT goes to the copilot's mic jack, per the wiring diagram.

If you go to www.ps-engineering.com and click on FAQ and read #23 for a layman's explaination of the install process.

Hope this helps.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

The PTT button/switch doesn't actually need to be wired to the jack, and the PTT line doesn't actually need to be wired to the jack at all. This has been the convention for planes that may used a handheld mic. The PTT pin for both Pilot and Copilot just need to be connected to ground to activate the transmit from the respective mic.

The aux jack doesn't need to be there either. It just needs to connect from the PM1200 to the Icom.

If you have PM1200 P/N 11960:

3-wire shielded bundle:
PM Pin 12 goes to IC Pin 9
25 to J
13 to 8
Shield on bundle gets tied to 13 on PM side before going to the pin.

My thought is that something is not wired right with your jacks and OTT wiring rather than from the intercom to the radio.

A210 has built-in intercom

I'm wondering why you want to do this since the Icom A-210 has a built-in intercom. Am I missing something?

Mine does

The built in intercom doesn't work that great?
Mine does, but maybe my standards are lower than yours :). I like the fact that I can adjust the mic gain and squelch individually for each headset, as well as the overall squelch. It took me a while to get that all adjusted properly (noisy cockpit) but I finally did.

Back