What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop dome stripped: How bad is this?

j-red

Well Known Member
I had Sensenich do an IRAN on my Hartzell cs prop, and I’m not sure if it’s something they missed or maybe not something that gets checked, but One of the bolt holes that holds the front spinner bulkhead to the prop is completely stripped. I’m going to call Sensenich and see what they say, but can just hear them saying that it’s got to come back in. Shipping alone would be a killer, much less the new parts. Any standard procedures for fixing such a thing in the field? Helicoil?

Last edited:
Helicoil insert would be good local fix but can only be done on an experimental. Available at good auto parts stores.

Would still require a dynamic rebalance, several people are doing that for the RV's.

You would be adding a couple grams less than an inch from centerline. Do you really think that?ll throw the balance off?

It's a new installation and so i'll need a dynamic balance done anyway whether or not this makes a difference.
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll go ahead and see if I can't pick up a helicoil kit. Will probably need a good bottoming tap too for these shallow holes, but that's pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

I'll go ahead and see if I can't pick up a helicoil kit. Will probably need a good bottoming tap too for these shallow holes, but that's pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

From my experience, the Helicoil kit usually comes with a tap, they are not standard sizes.

After getting the hole tapped as far as you can with the lead tapered tap, you can ground off the taper and make it into a bottom tab.

Back