What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mount Skybeacon on RV6-A

Wiley Price

I'm New Here
Ok, I will try again: has anyone mounted a Uaviaonix SkyBeacon on a RV6-A?
The reason I am asking is the GPS antena must be vertical and the RV6-A wing tips are around 45 degrees from vert. This is also true for the new Skysensor.
If anyone has fabricated a mount, I would like plans, photo, or to purchase one.
Further, I would like to know how well the SkyBeacon and Skysensor work.

I was looking into this and seems like the Tail Beacon is the best bet but then there?s the Garmin suit too...

You roll the dice you takes your chances

Vans used to sell little fiberglass fairings (wedges) that you glassed onto the old style wingtips to mount nav lights in the vertical position. Should be easy enough to fabricate, if you can't find someone with an unused pair lying around.
I gave the surplus pair I had to a 6 builder a few years ago.

Ok, I will try again: has anyone mounted a Uaviaonix SkyBeacon on a RV6-A?
The reason I am asking is the GPS antena must be vertical and the RV6-A wing tips are around 45 degrees from vert. This is also true for the new Skysensor.
If anyone has fabricated a mount, I would like plans, photo, or to purchase one.
Further, I would like to know how well the SkyBeacon and Skysensor work.

This is how we did it back in the olden days:

finsh157.jpg

finsh158.jpg

Use floral foam and some plywood finished with fiberglass cloth and resin/filler and a bit of elbow grease to blend everything into the wingtip. :)

Last edited:
If you have the 600 series combo light you will loose the tail light portion of that light? But If you have a tail light in the rudder maybe you are good to go? Something to consider?

Back