What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can SSN be removed from logbooks?

Roy Thoma

Well Known Member
I signed the airframe logbook of the Zodiac I built in 2003 and used my then pilot's license number which was my SSN. I'm making copies of the logbook and wondered if it's allowed to use whiteout or similar to cover my original entry and update with my repairman's certificate number or my updated pilot's license number. (RV related -- I'm sure this applies to MANY logbooks of RV builders on VAF.)

Thanks,

White out would be frowned upon, normally fixing logbook entries with a single line through. However, with the sensitive nature of the info you're trying to cover, the normal procedure might not be enough. If you did do the correction, I would probably use something that covered the entry permanently, like a black marker, as white out would be removable.

I have never had a cert with my SSN on it, so forgive my ignorance... If you were to swap cert numbers and someone looked up the number in the future, would the issue date be your original SSN number issue date? Just to insure that you could prove the new number was valid at the time of the original logbook entry.

If the new number was grand fathered in as valid at the time of the logbook entry, I see no problem with swapping the number.

I may be wrong here, but if you don't have the repairmen cert for that aircraft, then all you need is your signature. If true, then I would scribble out the ssn with like ink to also get rid of the depression.

I would not even worry about it. For many years my A&P entries all had to have my SSN. Airline planes, private planes, etc. Obviously it would not even be possible to do anything about it, but I have never had a problem because of it.
I signed the airframe logbook of the Zodiac I built in 2003 and used my then pilot's license number which was my SSN. I'm making copies of the logbook and wondered if it's allowed to use whiteout or similar to cover my original entry and update with my repairman's certificate number or my updated pilot's license number. (RV related -- I'm sure this applies to MANY logbooks of RV builders on VAF.)

Thanks,

A little off topic - I used an IA for a few years, who had a little bit of anti-government attitude. He used to switch a couple of digits every time he signed a log book for an inspection - so it was never his social security number which was his certificate number.

Wind forward a few years and there was an accident investigation (no fault of his). He had signed the last annual off with switched digits in his certificate. FAA pulled both his IA and A&P certificate for a year for falsifying log books. He needed to re-do the exams to get his A&P back !!!

I'm sure thieves have much better sources for SSN's if they want to steal them. Nobody will be looking in your old logbook for one.

What if you typed out a sticker and covered the entire entry with a new one?

I've thought about this too. I did work on my first airplane and signed it off as the owner/operator with my SSN before I had a new certificate number issued to me. Unfortunately for me, that plane has been long since sold so I can't address the issue.

I don't know exactly how it works in the US but I suspect at some stage you will have had your records counter-signed/certified by a second party. I can't see how this certification can still be acceptable if you subsequently amend the original entry.

The only entry that needs a repairman's signature is the condition inspection. Elmer Fudd, or anyone, could sign for any other entries--or would they even need to be signed since the entries are optional?

Most records older than one year do not have to be retained. But, a potential buyer might care if you removed the certificate number. IMO, replace it as you desire and make another logbook entry that when and why it was done.

FAR 91.417 Maintenance records says:

(a) Except for work performed in accordance with 91.411 and 91.413, each registered owner or operator shall keep the following records for the periods specified in paragraph (b) of this section:

(1) Records of the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alteration and records of the 100-hour, annual, progressive, and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft (including the airframe) and each engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance of an aircraft. The records must include—

(i) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed; and

(ii) The date of completion of the work performed; and

(iii) The signature, and certificate number of the person approving the aircraft for return to service.

(b) The owner or operator shall retain the following records for the periods prescribed:

(1) The records specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall be retained until the work is repeated or superseded by other work or for 1 year after the work is performed.

Last edited:
Back