VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-11-2018, 08:00 AM

Default WTB Garmin 245 Audio Panel

I have a Garmin 240 audio panel in my RV-8. I am updating the panel and am considering replacing the 240 with a 245 so I can have Bluetooth music in the intercom. Would I have to replace the rack or would it be truly 'plug and play'? How about the wiring pin out, would it be the same? Looking for an easy Bluetooth solution.

I don't want to spend big bucks cause I'm a cheap a** pilot so if all the above is easy and anyone has a good price on a 245 let me know.
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 10-11-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Title change spelling
Old 10-11-2018, 08:10 AM

PM'd you about a solution.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
I have a Garmin 240 audio panel in my RV-8. I am updating the panel and am considering replacing the 240 with a 245 so I can have Bluetooth music in the intercom. Would I have to replace the rack or would it be truly 'plug and play'? How about the wiring pin out, would it be the same? Looking for an easy Bluetooth solution.

I don't want to spend big bucks cause I'm a cheap a** pilot so if all the above is easy and anyone has a good price on a 245 let me know.
Yes the 245 is basically plug-n-play with the 240, there are a few pin changes but those changes are generally not used functions.
The 245 IM has the changes listed. The 245 supports the CAN bus to a G3X touch, but that is not req'd to hook up unless you want to.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post

Hello Oly,

The GMA 245 is plug-n-play with the GMA 240/340 audio panel rack and wiring.

There is one caveat, which probably doesn't apply here. There are two reserved pins on the GMA 240 that are used for an optional CAN bus interface on the GMA 245 if you install it with a G3X Touch system. Without wiring in a CAN bus, you can readily remove a GMA 240 and insert a GMA 245 or vice-versa.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 10-11-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Garmin 245

Well that's all good news indeed, thanks for the replies. It was suggested to use a small Bluetooth receiver to plug into the headset jack but I don't want to have to charge it all the time. I put LEMO jacks in the RV-4 and am putting them in the RV-8 now cause I hate having to deal with batteries.

I have an AFS 5500 EFIS so won't be worried about the G3X CAN bus.

I also have two Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 cameras. Can I simultaneously use the ANT+ to control the camera (from the Aera 660) while using Bluetooth from the 245 to capture real time audio as well? That would eliminate all the cables but would that significantly reduce the battery capability on the VIRB?

So if there's any 245s out there not being used send me a PM/E-mail but remember my post above- I'm a cheap a** pilot.
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 10-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Bluetoothing to the 245 works well for audio. ANT + works well in the hangar but real world with VIRBs mounted mid wing span or on vertical tail we have had problems. Our latest try with the new VIRB 360 I was able to start recording but unable to stop. Hoping that the ANT + control will at least work if the 360 is mounted in cockpit. Great audio panel and great cameras though!
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Default Audio Panel

Thanks Jon,

I don't plan on putting the cameras on the wings. I have some Go Pro tube rollbar type mounts that fit perfect on the RV-8 rollbar and the VIRB mounts allow some pretty good flexibility. I'd mostly use the cameras for formation fun so they'd be inside all the time. I used the ANT+ for the VIRB Ultra 30 in the RV-4 with the cameras mounted in the cockpit. Always worked great using the Aera 660 to stop & start recording. The drawback was having to use cables from Pilot USA to connect to to a headphone jack and USB battery pack power.

Thanks again for your time on the phone about panel upgrades. Think I'll take your advice and keep what I have with some modifications.

Still looking for a 245, anyone.........
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 10-11-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 PM

I'm planning the same upgrade at some point.

I have a 240 and want a 245.