Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2018, 03:19 AM

Hi, I've just started on an RV-9 and similarly I spend a lot of time working away. I'm using the time I spend travelling to do research, study plans & instructions, and just generally prepare, so when I get home again I can get stuck in. Unfortunately a lot of the processes are noisy as others have mentioned, but with a bit of thought & planning you can have a few quiet things to get on with (like deburring or fluting, hand sanding, soldering / crimping). I've thought about taking parts away with me, but again as already mentioned the potential damage or not having the right tool is going to make that a bit hard to implement.

However you decide to proceed, have fun (it is truly the best thing to be doing!), and you'll find all sorts of ways to stay productive.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 AM

Default townhouse

I spent hours filling and sanding the wheel pants behind our townhouse when we owned our home and townhouse and were finishing our 10. There were no backyard neighbors or walkable green space. There was a hose and spigot for wet sanding. No one even knew I was back there (which was a good thing)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Most people that keep track of their build time (can I see a show of hands engineers?!) track only time in the shop. If they were honest, they'd probably log at least half as much additional time doing research, looking at plans, and purchasing.
It's really hard to track the time when your mind wonders back to the airplane even though you are supposed to be focused on something else!