Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 AM

At least one RV-12 crashed on takeoff because the trim was set to climb. The airplane jumped off the ground, climbed steeply, stalled and nosed into the runway. Another crashed when the pilot was distracted by an unlatched canopy. Fly the plane. It will fly just fine with the canopy open. The hardest part for me on first flight was managing the energy: altitude and airspeed. I went around 3 times before getting it slowed down enough to land. The RV-12 will float.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:44 AM

I bought a flying 12 with a partner and had a 1/2 hour transition from the builder. Just had to get use to lower performance and more float than other RV. First flight for the new one I built and a first flight for a friend's were no brainers. If built per Vans, they all fly the same. I did take care to fly a 12 just before the first flight in the new ones and to make sure the trim matched at the tail regardless to what was shown on the Dynon to make sure of no abrupt climbs.

I also transitioned a couple of pilots in my plane. Both had a hard time getting use to the slower approach speed required for a 12 not to float. You need to get about 50 landings in at a long paved runway to gain enough experience and comfort to drop her into a short grass strip. Until you gain experience you will not realize how much field your using. I let one builder have my hanger to do first flight and gain that experience before he moved to his home grass field.
RV-12 #120515, N319RV 1st flight 12/2015 now over 270 hours.
RV-9A, 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold

Last edited by scottmillhouse : 10-02-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added text
Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Interesting discussion...

When I did the flight test on the 12 some years ago, it had a D180.

Ours have Skyview HDX's. We were finishing the calibrations today and the trim intrigued me. Set full down, set full up, set neutral

Where is neutral ?

I have probably missed a really straight forward instruction, however it would be good to have a simple measurement from full down to full up and neutral on the stabilator. Our jets at work have trimmable stabilisers but they have a zero reference point we check on the walk round. Would be quite simple to ascertain a neutral point so you could put a daub on the fuselage for flight test purposes.

Scott ..... ?

Donated in 2018
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM

I did my first flight. The only surprise was it does not like to shed speed quickly unlike my Cherokee. I did one go around before I got a stabilized approach and landed.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
... The only surprise was it does not like to shed speed quickly ...
My ground idle was originally set at 1800 RPM and it was real hard to slow down. Now I set my ground idle to 1550 - 1600 and that really helped. IIRC, that put the idle RPM at 60 kts at around 2100 or 2200. Still doesn't slow down easily and will float if I don't get it slowed down but it did help. I'm careful not to taxi or let it actually idle below 1800.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 10-02-2018, 03:58 PM

I did mine. My comment to my wife when I got back was that it flew just like my old Alon A2 on steroids. Wow!! What a kick!!

360 hours and counting............Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 10-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Default I did mine, after transition training

with Mike Seager. Highly valuable and strong preparation for going it alone. As others have said, be comfortable with trim and managing energy. On mine, I was not ready for a heavy right wing and this distracted me a bit but all's well that ends well. Pick a calm day.
#120043 N728SL
VAF paid 2018
Old 10-02-2018, 07:41 PM

+1 for Mike Seager. As a former Mooney driver, my the first flight in my -12 was a non event thanks to Mike.
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2019
Old 10-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Iíve done 4 First flights in my homebuilts over the years. The first in a WAR FW-190 I built. I remember as it lifted off the thought went through my mind: you're in it now! I told that story to a friend with a MiG-15. He told me when he first lifted off solo his thought was: what have I done! Moral of these stories is that itís OK to be apprehensive on that first flight!😁
Old 10-02-2018, 09:38 PM

I think it really depends on the type of flying experience you have, I participated in mine as I used the FAAs rule that allowed two to be present during first flight. The friend I had with me had a ton of experience in different planes, and in different scenarios as a pretty seasoned CFI. With two of you, itís easy to split the workload if you have to deal with a problem etc.