- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Wiring schematics for RV9A

Hi,

Anybody got any basic wiring schematics and layouts for a RV9A
Not decided on avionics or panel yet but want to put together some wiring looms for wings and rear fuselage which contain the needed cables and nessesary wiring sizes.
Have purchased 18 and 22 AWG wire to make them up from but looking to advice of what equipment to include supplies to. Will have pitch and roll servos fitted and electric trims controlled from sticks.
Any advice welcome and some installation pictures as to routing and position if available. Looked on the forum before but couldn't find too many pictures.
Reg number reserved: G-RVSK
Donation made for 2018
Old 09-29-2018, 11:16 AM

I would suggest you order a basic wiring kit for your airframe from Vans Aircraft. In it you would receive a BEGINNING quantity of wire, connectors & components you will need to fabricate your harness. You already have some wire, but this extra quantities will not be waisted as you will be astounded how much you will eventually go through.
The most important part of the wiring kits is the basic wiring drawings that come with it. You will find these schematics (before you get confused with the huge array of options) are the foundation which you build THE REST OF YOUR SYSTEM from.

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 09-29-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:48 PM

Agree w/ Ralph. I found the basic kit and diagram to be very helpful. I'm sure that if I'd ordered one of the premade harnesses I'd end up cutting and splicing it a bunch. Why not start with fresh wire?

I found that the quantity of wire supplied was sufficient, but my RV is a pretty simple build.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2018
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 09-30-2018, 04:27 AM

Default A great source

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchaneer View Post
Hi,

Anybody got any basic wiring schematics and layouts for a RV9A
Not decided on avionics or panel yet but want to put together some wiring looms for wings and rear fuselage which contain the needed cables and nessesary wiring sizes.
Have purchased 18 and 22 AWG wire to make them up from but looking to advice of what equipment to include supplies to. Will have pitch and roll servos fitted and electric trims controlled from sticks.
Any advice welcome and some installation pictures as to routing and position if available. Looked on the forum before but couldn't find too many pictures.
Bob Nuckolls AeroElectric Connection is a great source for not only schematics but also a primer for everything electrical that goes in an airplane.

AeroElectric Connection

Highly Recommend!
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 09-30-2018, 03:26 PM

Default RV9A wiring

Thanks for your replies.
Anybody willing to give me a copy of these basic wiring diagrams as these are my basis for asking these questions. Not economical to buy the Vans kit as already purchased a lot of cables and fittings. Didn't imagine my first loom would not be added to as I added avionics etc. Just wanted to get basics done for equipment already mentioned.
Reg number reserved: G-RVSK
Donation made for 2018
Old 09-30-2018, 03:49 PM

If I was in your place I wouldn't run any wires yet. Just put conduit in. Vans had a form instructing you how to run conduit for the wings and also through the mainspar. In addition drill for snap bushings in the seat ribs, drill the mainspar web for pass throughs and possibly run a conduit from the aft baggage bulkhead all the way to the bulkheads beneath the HS. Perhaps also look at additional conduit under the baggage floor. Also don't forget to allow for your pitot/AOA/static lines. Work out your ballpark dream wiring, then add 20-50% capacity in your routing to allow for expansion and oversight. If you do all of this now you will future proof your aircraft. If you run wires now you will simply tie yourself into potentially obsolete technology. Not all wiring for autopilot servos, magnetometers, pitot heat etc are the same. I wouldn't purchase any off the shelf wiring kits, or you will end up with a heap of gear you don't need. I also wired my aircraft with colored wire. Not only red for power, black for ground etc. but also striped wires for each circuit. It makes trouble shooting and tracing wires so much easier. I drew a diagram of the aircraft with measured wire run lengths then created a spreadsheet with all my respective components and respective wire runs/sizes. This spreadsheet became more important during the build than the wiring diagrams, and is way easier to edit if you need to. I can shoot you a copy of you send me a PM with your email address.
Good luck.
Tom
RV-7
G3X Touch, IFR
Old 10-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Tom I sent you a PM
Worlds longest RV build...but getting there
Old 10-04-2018, 12:22 PM

Default OP Drawings

You can get a basic idea of wiring needs from some of the OP drawings (purchased separate from Van's or on the CD). OP-10 and maybe OP-12 would be useful for an RV-9.
N70JT Reserved
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Email me and i will send you my diagram with the G3X and Vertical Power system. Even if you don't use the Garmin or VP, it can give you an idea what a system looks like. Have fun.
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 10-05-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
I would suggest you order a basic wiring kit for your airframe from Vans Aircraft. In it you would receive a BEGINNING quantity of wire, connectors & components you will need to fabricate your harness. You already have some wire, but this extra quantities will not be waisted as you will be astounded how much you will eventually go through.
The most important part of the wiring kits is the basic wiring drawings that come with it. You will find these schematics (before you get confused with the huge array of options) are the foundation which you build THE REST OF YOUR SYSTEM from.
+1 on what Ralph said. My RV-7A was my first experience wiring an airplane so I bought this from Vans: Part Number = ES WH 6/7/9 KIT. It gave me great start and drawings. From there, I've extended and modified my system.