Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoverst View Post
What is the advantage of the Titan io-340 in your opinion? I assume it is fuel-injected and has a bigger displacement so probably more HP?
More HP than the 320 but the same weight:
http://www.continentalmotors.aero/ti...ines/x340.aspx

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 09-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoverst View Post
You guys are all so helpful. Some really good thoughts here. I am off to research Lycoming 320 models! Leaning toward fuel injection. May stick with fixed pitch. Thanks
FWIW, I am extremely happy with my fixed pitch Catto 2-blade (70x70) on an IO-320-D1A. Less weight, complexity, cost & maintenance than CS, and solo I can climb at 1500 fpm on a cool day with full tanks. No issues with cg with this lighter prop on my -9A, and that's with a lightweight SkyTec starter.

I think if I had to get out of a 1500' strip with 50 ft trees to clear I'd want a CS prop, but with the type of flying I do, the FP is perfect. Goes great with the "simplicate and add lightness" philosophy!
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2018
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 09-28-2018, 07:36 PM

I would stay away from the (I)O-340.

My -9; started life with a 135 HP O-290-D2 and it was a great engine. Unfortunately I it died after i ran it into a trailer someone left in the middle of a taxiway.

I then had the choice of an O-320, O-340, or O-360. The 340 was crazy expensive, more than the 360, which puts out more piwer and only weighs ~20 lbs more. With the O-360 (~190 hp) and Catto prop, My engine and prop combination is still lighter than an O-320 with a fixed pitch metal prop and a LOT lighter than an O-320 with a metal constant speed prop.

My preference is a carburetor for easy starting. With dual P-mag electronic ignitions I can easily run lean of peak, so that hasn't ben an issue.

Yes, make sure your engine can accept a CS prop but you can start with a fixed pitch prop. The -9 really doesn't need a CS prop as it climbs amazingly well. Not as well as a CS prop, but much better than any other fix pitched plane out there.

The good thing is you can start with a carb and fixed pitch prop and change them later, if you want.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 09-28-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I would stay away from the (I)O-340.

I then had the choice of an O-320, O-340, or O-360. The 340 was crazy expensive, more than the 360, which puts out more piwer and only weighs ~20 lbs more.
So folks should stay away from the 340 because you didn't like the price?
Titan currently list the 340 for the same price as the 360. A 20lb saving with the same 180 HP as the 360 sounds pretty attractive. Maybe thats why quite a few OEM's are now using it.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 09-28-2018, 08:31 PM

As with all such RV things, mission and wallet drive the decisions. I offer that any plan on carb now injection later, or FP now CS later is not a great idea as you end up spending a lot more money, and may need to modify the cowl (as I found out).

I got an O-360-A1A for my first RV (that was back before Vanís offered a 180 HP IO-360). I never took the carb out of the box, just sold it and installed AirFlow Performace injection. After experiencing carb icing on a Texas Taildragger I made the hard decision to never build with a carb. The AirFlow Performace has been flawless for 15 years.

I also installed a FP prop - mainly because that was what one of the younger Vanís reps during Oshkosh 1999 recommended (I was building but not flying at that point). As Iíve told anyone that listens, this was the one huge mistake for this build. The prop was a poor compromise across the operating envelope, but as again with all such RV things the plane was still a blast to fly. After 300 hours or so I back fitted a nice Hartzell BA prop. This one change transformed the plane into a real first class performer. The first time I hit the throttle on takeoff I knew it was worth the money. But, my main mission was and still is high efficiency cruise. The CS prop yielded faster cruise with less less fuel burn than I could ever get with the FP prop.

If your mission is around the patch and the weekend $100 hamburger, do as your wallet dectates. If you are building and IFR cross country machine, injection and CS prop are what you want - even if you have to save your pennies and dimes until you can afford it.

Carl
Old 09-28-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
So folks should stay away from the 340 because you didn't like the price?
Titan currently list the 340 for the same price as the 360. A 20lb saving with the same 180 HP as the 360 sounds pretty attractive. Maybe thats why quite a few OEM's are now using it.
Walt,

Last I looked, which was when I bought my O-360 some years ago, the 340 was closer to 170 hp and the O-360 was around 190 how. (They may have changed the numbers on the website since then.) The 340 was something like $2,000 more than the 320 but the 360 was only $500 more than a 320. Again, I haven't looked up the numbers recently and doing so on my phone is a pain.

As much as I like the 340 on paper, it is an odd ball engine. For me, the 360 has been the right choice.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-30-2018, 06:02 PM

Sorry been out of the loop on things for a while. Has Vans recommended the 180 hp lycoming for the 9/9A or how did that come about? I thought it was just 118-160hp range.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpjen View Post
Sorry been out of the loop on things for a while. Has Vans recommended the 180 hp lycoming for the 9/9A or how did that come about? I thought it was just 118-160hp range.
Vans doesn't recommend more than 160 HP for the RV-9. They have valid engineering reasons for that.

A ton of builders have installed 180 HP O-360's, so there's empirical data showing it might be OK to do so.

This is experimental aviation. You get to decide which choice to make. ;-)
2019(?) RV-10
Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Simple

Ok i may be wierd but i want to keep mine simple. So Vans io320 with a Catto fixed pitch prop. This will allow cs prop in the future( all factory injected can be used for cs) and the Catto is a lightweight and inexpensive prop with good performance. My money is going in the panel. The price for the injected engine is almost the same as carbed. Also the carb version can be run slightly lean of peak, but the injected allows for greater lean of peak for max efficiency. I plan to be an IFR cruiser so effieceny and reliability are key to me.
And for IFR want to minimize chance of carb ice. JMHO.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 10-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Hey John,

You'll love the Catto. Mine's a 70x70 with the nickel leading edges. With a 160-hp IO-320, you should see 153-155 KTAS at 2700 rpm, with a fuel burn of about 7.5 gph. That's what I typically see when cruising at 7500 to 9500 ft. I did a few top speed runs at right around 8000' DA, and it hit book numbers...170 KTAS, but was spinning at 2850 rpm. I typically try to never exceed 2750. Prop is rated to 3200, BTW.

Make sure you've got your paint scheme in mind when you order, because Catto will paint the prop to match.

In the 3 years that have elapsed since I bought mine, I bet the Cattos have improved from an efficiency standpoint...they never stop tweaking 'em!
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2018
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart