VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-29-2018, 05:50 AM

I have never had any issues with the hinge pin along the side holding top and bottom together. That is the pin the Original post, I believe, is asking about. Very straight pin lubed with a little LPS every time will slide right in. Same for pin that goes down side of lower cowl.
I have #10 stainless steal countersunk screws with tinnerman washers at 2 to 2.5” spacing across entire upper aft edge of upper cowl. Takes about 5 minutes to remover install with battery screw driver. Not as clean looking as the piano hinge but never issue with install/remove.
Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 09-29-2018, 06:36 AM

Like Phillip, my RV-8 cowl uses hinge pins along the horizontal seam between the top and bottom halves. The builder of my RV-8 used F4U plate fasteners along the aft top curve.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Zipper.

We use the hinge pins, per the plans. It is had to beat a Zipper for closure and strength. We have also seen a lot of Cam-Locks used. It is what you want and like the looks of. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 10-01-2018, 07:41 AM

I have the std piano hinge arrangement on my 8, screws and nut plans under the lower cowl near the exhaust, they are out of sight. As much as I don't enjoy using the hinge style to remove/fit the cowl I love the clean look, I really dislike a whole row of screws around the cowl, personal choice I guess
Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 AM

I used the piano hinges on the sides and all of lower cowling. HATED THEM! I've switched to Sky Bolts and will never go back!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 AM

Discussed many, many times.... Done correctly, the hinge pins work great and are by far the easiest to de-cowl and cowl back up. I have both and prefer the pins but I wouldn't kick the quick turns out of bed for eating crackers.
However, done incorrectly, the pins can be a real pain in the you know what.

As far as looks, I like the per plans look, but to each his own. I am not about to change out the quick turns, nor am I about to switch my pins, same...

I also have a slider which is the only way an RV should be built and as far as primer is concerned.....

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I note however that the lower cowl hinge should be replaced with the more robust extruded hinge (MS20001) or aluminum plates with nutplates.

Carl
I used .032 aluminum with nutplates (3 per side) for the lower cowl on my RV-8. After 13 years (765 hours) the aluminum cracked near the inboard nutplate on both sides. I think this is a good solution as compared to the plans (hinge material) but suggest using a minimum of .040 aluminum if you are going to use this approach.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Aero Valley Airport, TX)