Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-27-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Which LED lights?

Hey builders,

I am about to order the empennage and wing kit.
I am wondering are the AeroLEDs that Van's has as an official option a good choice or do I want to buy different lights? Don't want to throw 1140 USD away.

Thanks!

Best,
Malte
Old 09-27-2018, 09:10 AM

Both the wingtip and landing lights from Van's are fine. I have both and they are excellent. No real reason to use others unless you have a specific preference.

There are some roll your own options that save a lot but I'm not sure they perform a lot better.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanduda View Post
Hey builders,

I am about to order the empennage and wing kit.
I am wondering are the AeroLEDs that Van's has as an official option a good choice or do I want to buy different lights? Don't want to throw 1140 USD away.

Thanks!

Best,
Malte
Before you throw away $1140 on the AeroLED's have a look at the Aveo Engineering LED lights. I recently purchased the Aveo Engineering Powerburst Daylite 3 in 1 lights and absolutely love them. The set of two was $436 to my door direct from their distributor. For a pair of Aveo lights this is a great price. Contact Rick at Aveo Engineering Southwest in Livermore California.

I am in no way associated with Aveo or Rick, just wanted to pass along a great deal on some VERY nice lights. I put off LED nav/strobes for a long time because of the cost and these are amazing lights for the price.

Shawn
Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 AM

This is probably one of those items where you can't go wrong with most anything you choose whether you drop a lot of green or not.

It will, among other things, of course come down to what you're willing to spend as well as features, ease of wiring, ease of mounting and current draw. There won't be a "best" as that's a relative qualification.

I went with AeroLEDs for the nav/strobes. But I went with Aveo for the landing lights: The AveoMaxx Hercules 30.

They are crazy bright and current-thirsty.

Here are my posts relating to those lights:

Last edited by RV-14E : 09-27-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:25 PM

If you're enjoying building your own aeroplane you might enjoy building your own lights too...
We have a variety of options for your -14.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Flyleds View Post
If you're enjoying building your own aeroplane you might enjoy building your own lights too...
We have a variety of options for your -14.

+1 for Flyleds. Great product, easy to assemble, extremely bright and Paul provides great service.

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
Old 09-27-2018, 07:03 PM

+1 for FlyLEDs. Have the wingtips and tail so far.
2018 dues paid
Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 PM

Don't know the rules in Germany, but in the US you're not legal to fly at night unless your lights are TSO'd and meet FAA Spec (don't know how strictly this rule is enforced). Many tip strobes advertised for experimental aircraft don't meet these specs, so could only legally be used to enhance visibility during daylight. The FAA requirements for night lighting are identical for certified and experimental aircraft (I guess that would make sense)

All the manufacturers' claims about TSO-C30c Type I and Type II , TSO-C96a Class II etc. and whether TSO'd lights meet FAA lighting spec or just some minimal technical standard, were a great source of confusion for me when ordering lights. I finally wound up with the Whelen Orion 650E which the company swore were legal in all aspects, TSO and FAA spec ($860 for the pair)

Bottom line is don't buy anything unless you understand the requirements in Germany
RV-14A #140158 flying

Last edited by Jake14 : 09-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake14 View Post
Don't know the rules in Germany, but in the US you're not legal to fly at night unless your lights are TSO'd and meet FAA Spec y
They must meet the performance requirements of the TSO, but do not actually need to have a TSO. And of course there are no requirements for landing lights.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
They must meet the performance requirements of the TSO, but do not actually need to have a TSO. And of course there are no requirements for landing lights.
^ This...

+1 for the FlyLEDs. Not only an OUTSTANDING product, but great customer service.

I flew out to Oshkosh this year. On the way, my right wing tip strobe started acting up. I was able to meet Paul at the FlyBoys booth and he was very quick to offer a replacement controller board for my setup. Not only did he provide the parts, he was nice enough to quickly solder it together as I was planning on departing Osh the next morning.

Between the FlyLEDs and my Baja Designs landing lights, even the Osh controllers commented on how great the lights looked and the ease to picking up my aircraft.