- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-27-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Do you understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi75 View Post
Ok thanks
2 weeks ago I do a flight with 115 lbs rear pax we lbs baggageís full fuel ans was ok
But never try with more .
People are telling you that the less fuel you have the farther aft the cg is?

With a very aft cg the airplane becomes much more difficult and demanding to fly. If you arent a stick and rudder person you might get into trouble.

Its not the weight. Its the cg
Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:01 PM

Just took my first passenger (wife) up last night in our new -4. From reading this post I was very nervous about the landing! After two landings last night I think I can call a back passenger sub 130lb a non event in my -4. It was pitch sensitive for sure on landing as you can see in this video but the second landing was much better. Not sure though I'm willing to try any 200lb guys anytime soon though.

https://youtu.be/PNttme3aBx0
2018 dues paid.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:31 AM

Sean: nice video, beautiful -4!
Thanks for sharing.

Doug
Seattle area
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM

Shawn cool video! What mounts are you using on the wing tips/tail for the cameras?

Myles
RV-4
Old 09-29-2018, 07:59 PM

Just remember - if you find yourself with an unexpected aft cg; forward (nose down) trim is your friend. It helps keep you from over controlling the aircraft due to increased pitch sensitivity.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbert View Post
Shawn cool video! What mounts are you using on the wing tips/tail for the cameras?

Myles
RV-4
Same goes for me. Beautiful -4 and great video. Please share details of your cameras and mounts. Any noticeable impact to aerodynamics?

Thanks,

Dean
Bolton, MA
Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Murphy View Post
People are telling you that the less fuel you have the farther aft the cg is?

Cm
Thatís true in the rv4 and many other rvís. Do you disagree? While running the CG in foreflight Iíve noticed that I can be in limits for takeoff but approaching aft limit for landing and will sometimes get a zero fuel CG caution.

"Poise under pressure is the single most valuable thing you can have as a pilot. Make mistakes, take corrective action as quickly and calmly as possible and press on."
Old 10-12-2018, 07:42 AM

Fuel is forward of the spar. I'm not going to use absolutes and say this is the case with every -4, but in mine and others I've spoken with, additional fuel (weight) moves CG forward. To put another way, CG moves aft as fuel burns.

W&B with the -4 is a game; for me it's a question of: "Do I want to be in CG and over weight? Or aft and under gross?" I'll pick CG every time. No more than 200lb's behind my rollbar; 0-320 w/wood prop. I've flown the plane with the CG just aft of limits; its controllable (IN MY PLANE) but simply sucks the joy out of flying her entirely. Even a 120lb passenger, while better, changes the handling dynamics enough that I just prefer to fly solo, and doubly so if there's going to be anything more than an aileron roll.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate-ISU View Post
Fuel is forward of the spar. I'm not going to use absolutes and say this is the case with every -4, but in mine and others I've spoken with, additional fuel (weight) moves CG forward. To put another way, CG moves aft as fuel burns.
Youíre correct. Nate appeared to be questioning our logic as if it was flawed. Iíd be surprised if any RVír can get their CG (with flyable weights) to be in the very forward limit where your logic is incorrect. CG does in fact move aft as fuel burns.

Rv-4 CG range
68.7-77.4

Fuel tanks are 70 inch aft of datum

RV-7 CG range
78.7-86.82

Fuel tanks are 80.0 inch aft of datum

"Poise under pressure is the single most valuable thing you can have as a pilot. Make mistakes, take corrective action as quickly and calmly as possible and press on."
Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM

Default Maybe I wasnt clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitman View Post
Thatís true in the rv4 and many other rvís. Do you disagree? While running the CG in foreflight Iíve noticed that I can be in limits for takeoff but approaching aft limit for landing and will sometimes get a zero fuel CG caution.
I was getting the impression the OP was under the impression that he could. Carry more weight in the back seat by reducing fuel. I was trying to explain that its not the weight as much as the CG with the RV4

Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.