- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Section 40a: attaching Upper Gear Brace

Has anyone had issues trying to get the three AN6 bolts through the Upper gear brace and through the wing spar?

I can get one bolt through, but then the others don't fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

ken

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:19 PM

Just did this - no issues except I had to remove primer from inside the holes in the brace after priming since the holes are very close tolerance.

Are you sure you did the reaming steps in section 25-06 for these holes? If that didn't get done, might be your problem.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mturnerb : 09-19-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM

No I figured out issue. The top edge of the rib was acting like a pivot. A bit of filing and I was able to get one side in. I have to go back out and do the other side.

It took about 10 minutes to file down enough to fix the issue.

I have a feeling that torquing down the AN3 bolts might be entertaining.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
Has anyone had issues trying to get the three AN6 bolts through the Upper gear brace and through the wing spar?

I can get one bolt through, but then the others don't fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

ken
I outline on my blog some of the things I learned from attaching the gear legs. A few things to consider
  • Did you ream the holes as directed in Step 1 on page 25-06?
  • Make sure the bolts can pass through the holes prior to placement of the parts (just to make sure the diameters are correct - and this may not be practical for you if you already have the legs in place). A gauge pin might be helpful if you're worried about marring your bolts.
  • Lubricate the shaft of the bolts prior to introduction. Be sure to clean threads prior to subsequent introduction of the nuts.
  • Try a different sequence of attaching all the bolts associated with the gear braces. It could help things line up better. I recall that the sequence I used was not the same as in the plans.

Just one clarification, you mean bulkhead, rather than wing spar
Old 09-19-2018, 04:10 PM

yes, I meant bulkhead. As I stated above, it was just a teeter totter effect. After filing down the top edge of the rib that the gear brace was touching, the part went in fine.

All the holes had been reamed or at least the bolts slid through without an issue prior to putting the part in place.

Thanks
ken

Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
yes, I meant bulkhead. As I stated above, it was just a teeter totter effect. After filing down the top edge of the rib that the gear brace was touching, the part went in fine.

All the holes had been reamed or at least the bolts slid through without an issue prior to putting the part in place.

Thanks
ken
Glad to hear it's resolved! I was busy composing my post when you had posted yours.

Build on.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
No I figured out issue. The top edge of the rib was acting like a pivot. A bit of filing and I was able to get one side in. I have to go back out and do the other side.

It took about 10 minutes to file down enough to fix the issue.

I have a feeling that torquing down the AN3 bolts might be entertaining.
There was a printed sheet in my finishing kit with instructions for filing it - forgot about it until you mentioned it.

I found the AN3's easy to torque - reach in with torque wrench between the spar sections. What was hard was the two bolts through the lower brace - space there is very tight.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 09-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-14E View Post
I outline on my blog some of the things I learned from attaching the gear legs. A few things to consider
  • Did you ream the holes as directed in Step 1 on page 25-06?
  • Make sure the bolts can pass through the holes prior to placement of the parts (just to make sure the diameters are correct - and this may not be practical for you if you already have the legs in place). A gauge pin might be helpful if you're worried about marring your bolts.
  • Lubricate the shaft of the bolts prior to introduction. Be sure to clean threads prior to subsequent introduction of the nuts.
  • Try a different sequence of attaching all the bolts associated with the gear braces. It could help things line up better. I recall that the sequence I used was not the same as in the plans.

Just one clarification, you mean bulkhead, rather than wing spar
Sorry if this is a drift on your subject and please feel free to remove if you need to.

@E.
Did you find the wing bolt installation pretty hard or did you do anything to ease up the big bolts insertion in?
I know we have more room than RV6/7/9 but those are really tight and hard to fully insert without freezing them or other methods.
Dues paid
Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Sorry if this is a drift on your subject and please feel free to remove if you need to.

@E.
Did you find the wing bolt installation pretty hard or did you do anything to ease up the big bolts insertion in?
I know we have more room than RV6/7/9 but those are really tight and hard to fully insert without freezing them or other methods.
Definitely thread drift

Wing attach bolts were super easy. They all slid in real nice with gentle tapping. Per plans, just Boelube on the bolts (clean threads before introducing nuts). No freezing of bolts or anything special was done. Start-to-finish, both wings were on and torqued down in 40 minutes.

The web on the F-01404 Aft Center Section Bulkhead did this on me...

The nut brought it back down. This happened to another builder recently too. Keep an eye out for it so you can mitigate it immediately.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:33 PM

Drift is fine for this thread.