VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Roll Servo Install

I have been trying to wrap my head around what capabilities come with the generic wiring harness that Vans supplies as part of the wing kit, what harnesses I need to make myself, and what comes with a panel built by Stein. The otherwise excellent build-plans that Vans supplies are silent when it comes to this type of information. It would be so helpful if the plans simply included a note saying something like: "The left wing harness includes wiring and connectors for a landing light, magnetometer, ADAHRS, stall switch, and heated pitot for manufactures Dynon, Garmin, etc.. The right wing wiring harness includes blah blah blah". That would make it perfectly clear for what systems a builder wants to include that he will have to do himself.
Anyway, I know the roll servo for the autopilot goes in the right wing. I bought a VOR/localizer/glideslope antenna that goes in the right wingtip, and I know that I have to run the coax for that myself. I see there is a small molex plug that is in the bay just outboard of the wing walk ribs and I'm pretty sure that is for the aileron trim servo. What I'm not sure about is where the roll servo goes because according to Stein, when they build you a panel they include a wiring harness long enough to reach the servo. In this case, all I need to do is make sure I have a way to pull the harness to that location. The problem is that I don't know where it goes. Because the aileron bellcrank bracket has a large molex plug mounted in it, I'm assuming the roll servo goes there? Or somewhere close to that bay? Can anyone confirm this? Or better yet, send a photo?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
I have been trying to wrap my head around what capabilities come with the generic wiring harness that Vans supplies as part of the wing kit, what harnesses I need to make myself, and what comes with a panel built by Stein. The otherwise excellent build-plans that Vans supplies are silent when it comes to this type of information. It would be so helpful if the plans simply included a note saying something like: "The left wing harness includes wiring and connectors for a landing light, magnetometer, ADAHRS, stall switch, and heated pitot for manufactures Dynon, Garmin, etc.. The right wing wiring harness includes blah blah blah". That would make it perfectly clear for what systems a builder wants to include that he will have to do himself.
Anyway, I know the roll servo for the autopilot goes in the right wing. I bought a VOR/localizer/glideslope antenna that goes in the right wingtip, and I know that I have to run the coax for that myself. I see there is a small molex plug that is in the bay just outboard of the wing walk ribs and I'm pretty sure that is for the aileron trim servo. What I'm not sure about is where the roll servo goes because according to Stein, when they build you a panel they include a wiring harness long enough to reach the servo. In this case, all I need to do is make sure I have a way to pull the harness to that location. The problem is that I don't know where it goes. Because the aileron bellcrank bracket has a large molex plug mounted in it, I'm assuming the roll servo goes there? Or somewhere close to that bay? Can anyone confirm this? Or better yet, send a photo?
Yes servo fits into aileron bellcrank bracket. Check photo here: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018...g-systems.html

Unless you’re using something other than Dynon or Garmin everything you need in terms of wiring is included in the servo install kits and harnesses supplied by Vans or SteinAir (I bought mine from SteinAir). My panel arrives tomorrow from SteinAir. I don’t think the panel harness servo wires go all the way to the servos but rather plug into the standard fuselage harness which in turn plug into wing harness and the pitch/roll servo harnesses
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mturnerb : 09-17-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:15 AM

Although it wasn't available until two years ago, Van's has a complete drawing of their 14 wiring harness.

Here is the link. http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/d...4/WH-00125.pdf

It has all the information you asked for, for both Dynon and Garmin installs. Stein is very familiar with this harness and can make all the interconnects to it from your panel.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com

Last edited by n982sx : 09-17-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:43 PM

To add on to Bob's post, take page 1 to the print shop and have them print it out full size which is like 48" you will see all of the labeling clearly. It's a huge help when figuring out what does what.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 09-17-2018, 04:08 PM

Thanks guys. Your replies were immensely helpful. Also, I purchased my Garmin pitch and roll servos from Stein already but that short wiring harness from the roll servo to the molex plug installed in the aileron bracket from the basic wiring harness did not come with my servo. Does that come later?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
Thanks guys. Your replies were immensely helpful. Also, I purchased my Garmin pitch and roll servos from Stein already but that short wiring harness from the roll servo to the molex plug installed in the aileron bracket from the basic wiring harness did not come with my servo. Does that come later?
If I remember correctly, that comes with Van's Garmin servo install kit along with the actuator rod materials.

This search term will find it on their parts and accessories page... 14 GARMIN AP SERVO INSTALL KIT
Van's can tell you what the contents of that kit are.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com

Last edited by n982sx : 09-17-2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added search term
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM

I still refer to the master wiring diagram on Vans website. It's a great reference.
Wiring was my biggest challenge during my build (zero experience) but between Vans & Stein everything went together fantastically and is working fine 170 hrs later. From memory the only wiring I added was for pitot heat and the fuse harness allows for that out to the wing route molex (WH-00125) so all I had to do was add it out to the mounting point.
It's probably due to my lack of experience but I never understood all the builders who wanted to throw away the supplied harnesses.
If your working with Stein and using what Vans supply it will work out fine.
RV-14 #140181
Flying 5th January 2017
190+hours now