Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-02-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6junkie View Post
The only time you'd bail out of a plane would be the loss of a control surface or the wing itself - if the aircraft is in tact you'd fly it to some type of landing.

Now, if you loose a control surface, you can imagine that the aircraft is spinning and/or rolling violently - and descending. Given the time to assess the situation, remove the belt buckle, open the canopy and attempt to get out under 6,8,10 12g...well, you just hit the ground.

IMHO, you are not getting out of an RV6 that requires you to bail out.
You don't have a very good imagination... There is a sad case of a RV-8 about 19 years ago in the Oregon, massive fire, piloted try to descend, bailed out.... He did not have a chute. He decided he rather fall to death then burn to death. Autopsy found smoke damage in his lungs.

Accident Number: SEA99FA113
Date & Time: 07/10/1999, 1520 PDT
Aircraft: Alexander VAN'S RV-8
Aircraft Damage Destroyed
Injuries: 1 Fatal

There was another one but in Lancair... Prop separated and oil went all over the wind screen and canopy, and he could not see. He was able to control the plane but the off field landing, he perished.

Accident Number: ERA14FA421
Date & Time: 09/03/2014, 1522 EDT
Aircraft: KLAAS DEVELOPMENT INC LANCAIR IV P
Defining Event: Part(s) separation from AC
Injuries: 1 Fatal
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Business

Your other conjecture that successful bail outs are not practical or possible because of lack of time or high G forces is just made up. There have been 100's of successful bail outs in GA planes, in all kinds of airplanes and gliders. There are 100's of accidents where a chute would have saved the day. As I pointed out you can bail out as low as 1000 feet and survive (see base jumpers).

At 9G or 12G, an airplane will disintegrate; once that happens you and the bits of airplane are 1G ballistic object at terminal velocity or less. There was a case where a wing folded up and down onto cockpit with tragic results. However it takes only takes 3 seconds for the chute to deploy. Even if you were a rock, it takes 1500 feet and 12 seconds to reach terminal velocity. From 3000 feet you have time. I'm not going to argue that you could be "out of the envelope" to bail out, like right after takeoff or low on final. However there are many scenarios where bail out can save a pilots (and passengers) life. I remind you aerobatics with two people requires parachutes, unless for training (with CFI).

Loss of power (mechanical, fuel) would be a great reason to jump. Why make a dubious off field forced landing over rugged terrain or congested area with no suitable landing. Unfortunately when folks lose power they end up stalling and spinning in. Even if you have to crash into the side of a building do it at min speed with full flaps UNDER CONTROL. People will try and land on a freeway and snag a power line or street light or sign and parish... I am sure you have superior pilot skill and will make a perfect emergency landing and leap tall buildings every time, but mere mortals can see a need for a parachute.

Of course there is Cirrus with chutes on the airframe. They have been used when pilots saved their life as well as their passengers. You are welcome to your contrarian opinion, but you are not welcome to your own facts... There are many reasons to bail out... Is it COMMON? Thankfully no, flying is fairly safe. However we have insurance on our house, car and plane and don't expect to ever make a claim or collect money. You have a chute and don't expect to use it. However if you need it, it's worth it. I could see a non-instrument rated pilot flying from VMC to IMC bailing out... Of course one should never get into that situation.

Although rare, it has happened many times, pilot being accidentally ejected from airplane. It is rare but there have been cases of seat belts failing, not being secure or unknown, resulting in pilot being ejected from plane. One was in an RV, another in a Mustang II (like a RV-6) and a third, in a Zenair recently in TN. If you are going loop-de-loop I suggest a chute. I always have one when doing aerobatics.

Some examples of bail outs (low to the ground)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VINgXlF2R0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPv7aW64i40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLTgdiBYfKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgfG2DfPB6I

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 10-02-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:04 AM

Don't forget this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJngucEac4
Old 10-03-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride View Post
That is amazing for those that haven't seen it.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction