- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Default Vernier-Assist Throttle for RV-12

Anyone have experience with the 912/914 Vernier-Assist throttle control for the RV-12, available from A/C Spruce? If so, what size is appropriate as a replacement for the stock "creeper" throttle control?

Thanx,

Mike Clark
N712WE
Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark.whidbey@gmail.com View Post
Anyone have experience with the 912/914 Vernier-Assist throttle control for the RV-12, available from A/C Spruce? If so, what size is appropriate as a replacement for the stock "creeper" throttle control?

Thanx,

Mike Clark
N712WE
I installed one bought directly from McFarlane. Van's sells them also. Pricey, not hard to install, and worth every penny. I've had NO throttle creep whatsoever since installing it, and power adjustments are effortless.

This is nothing like the pushbutton-release vernier cables found on typical production airplanes. You just push or pull like a normal throttle, there's really no difference except that you don't have to crank the friction so tight it's hard to move. For fine adjustments, just twist. Effortless.

Just one guy's opinion.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 09-07-2018, 06:32 PM

Couldn’t agree more - vastly superior to the original. You can make small changes by twisting the knob (vernier assist) but it is so easy to use I seldom use that feature.

Jack
Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handclutch View Post
Couldn’t agree more - vastly superior to the original. You can make small changes by twisting the knob (vernier assist) but it is so easy to use I seldom use that feature.

Jack
Don't even THINK about any formation flying with a vernier throttle. Also, I find micro throttle adjustments on landing any aircraft difficult with a vernier throttle. Food for thought.
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold 2004
Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
Don't even THINK about any formation flying with a vernier throttle. Also, I find micro throttle adjustments on landing any aircraft difficult with a vernier throttle. Food for thought.
As stated, this is NOTHING AT ALL like a typical vernier throttle. Does not operate the same way at all. There would be no difference whatsoever flying with this or a regular throttle cable.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 09-07-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
As stated, this is NOTHING AT ALL like a typical vernier throttle. Does not operate the same way at all. There would be no difference whatsoever flying with this or a regular throttle cable.
That is correct, and as you stated they are specifically referred to as “vernier assist”. It’s the best throttle cable you can buy.

Mark
Old 09-08-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
Id like to do formation and Ive been wondering about if the McFarlane "vernier assist" is still considered vernier for formation because it uses the forbidden word, or if the guys have actually figured out that its not the same as the hated production version........???????? Maybe it should be called "twist assist" instead...???
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 09-08-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I installed one bought directly from McFarlane. Van's sells them also. Pricey, not hard to install, and worth every penny. I've had NO throttle creep whatsoever since installing it, and power adjustments are effortless.

This is nothing like the pushbutton-release vernier cables found on typical production airplanes. You just push or pull like a normal throttle, there's really no difference except that you don't have to crank the friction so tight it's hard to move. For fine adjustments, just twist. Effortless.

Just one guy's opinion.
Great... but Van's catalog only sez:
VERNIER THROTTLE-12 CT THROTTLE CABLE-12V

If it is the McFarlane "vernier-assist" version, its certainly lacks that important detail. I'll give them a call next week for confirmation.

Thanx,

Mike
Old 09-08-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark.whidbey@gmail.com View Post
Great... but Van's catalog only sez:
VERNIER THROTTLE-12 CT THROTTLE CABLE-12V

If it is the McFarlane "vernier-assist" version, its certainly lacks that important detail. I'll give them a call next week for confirmation.

Thanx,

Mike
If Vans doesn’t have the “vernier-assist” you can order it directly from McFarlane.

Mark
Old 09-09-2018, 04:14 PM

Bought mine directly from McFarlane. Good folks. At the time 10% off for EAA members. Soooo glad to get rid of “the creeper”. May be less of an issue now with latest return Springs.
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.