- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 03:56 PM

Default A bit of advice.

If someone offers you a used canopy don't buy it. Each canopy is specific to the RV4 it was built to. To modify a used one may take you more time than building a new one. Also you probably won't get the same tight fit as one you built to your specific RV4.

Steve
Old 09-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Welcome to the club

I lost the canopy on my RV-4 about 7 years ago. Forgot to latch it. Many of us have forgotten to latch our RV canopy, the problem is in a 4 it is catastrophic. I ordered new parts from Van's and a new tinted canopy from Todds. It took me two weeks and 110 hours of labor to complete the installation. I agree with the earlier comment do not try to install a used one. The springs on the latch mechanism should be rigged such that you have to hold the latching handle open any time you are opening or closing the canopy. When you release your grip on the handle the spring should latch the canopy. Also, install a warning light on the panel connected to a micro switch that senses when the canopy is latched. I was in a climb and just as I leveled off at 1,000 ft it left the aircraft. I say it left but it was more like an explosion. I never found the canopy or the Garmin 396 that left with it.
RV-6 flying
RV-8 Flying
Old 09-05-2018, 06:45 AM

Thumbs up Thanks to all!!!

Thanks to everyone who's commented, offered advice, and suggestions.

Felt pretty low after the canopy mishap and the positive support offered through the VAF forums helped get me over that. Working with the insurance company to develop a recovery plan that hopefully will my -4 airborne again quickly.

For sure, whether the original canopy assembly is found in a repairable state or if a new replacement is required, the locking mechanism will be configured with a much more robust design than the previous one.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:32 AM

If anyone is reading all this and thinking of adding a alarm or light to there -4 canopy here is what I did And it works great and is very simple.

Get a $3 hood switch off amazon or eBay. They are just a simple pin switch you can easily cut to adjust length. Mount the hood switch on the back canopy block in the baggage area with the pin going into the back of the block. Now when the canopy pin is engaged in the block it pushes the hood switch. I ran this input into Dynon and set a RPM warming limit so I get A loud announcement in the headset if the canopy is unlatched above 2,000rpm but no annoying warning while taxing with my canopy open for ventilation.
2018 dues paid.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:56 AM

Pretty sure the Rocket is the same style latch. I didnt like the fact that closed was not a positive lock, so I modified mine to go over center. Same basic parts, just changed the geometry a bit.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Thumbs up

Hoo-hoo!!!

My canopy has been found. A plea for help on a local SLC, UT TV station aviation classified-ad website (KSL.com) got the attention of a local helicopter pilot who volunteered to make a search of the area and sure enough found it this afternoon.

It's battered, bruised, in need of tender loving care & new plexi-glass but never-the-less this gives me a solid starting point for rebuilding & repairing versus a complete clean-sheet restart which was beyond my feeble skill set.

I promise to never speak ill of helicopter pilots ever again
Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 PM

Wow great news! Keep us posted on your progress.
2018 dues paid.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 AM

Default Good eyes on that chopper pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Hoo-hoo!!!

My canopy has been found. A plea for help on a local SLC, UT TV station aviation classified-ad website (KSL.com) got the attention of a local helicopter pilot who volunteered to make a search of the area and sure enough found it this afternoon.

It's battered, bruised, in need of tender loving care & new plexi-glass but never-the-less this gives me a solid starting point for rebuilding & repairing versus a complete clean-sheet restart which was beyond my feeble skill set.

I promise to never speak ill of helicopter pilots ever again
There was an incident several years ago in Virginia.
The canopy was found by hunters years later and completely undamaged.

Daddyman
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Canopy Safety Latch

In part as a progress post and also to pass on info to other potential RV-4 "newbies" such as myself, here's where things stand:

With the assistance of Old Republic Insurance I'm working with Loyd Remus in CO Springs to replace the canopy which was damaged beyond repair after ricocheting off the right horizontal stabilizer and falling 1,000ft. To complete the fabrication the aircraft is being transported to CO on a truck and will be flown back upon completion.

In the process of ordering parts for the canopy assembly from Van's I noticed on the Bill of Materials a "Canopy Safety Latch" which involves according to Van's assembly instructions "...safety catch that latches automatically when the canopy is closed. A steel catch is added to the canopy mechanism. It engages through a slot cut in the fuselage side rail and rides on a steel striker plate. A spring and bracket ensure that the latch engages."

Unfortunately on the RV-4 I purchased either the extra safety latch was not available from Van's during the 1985 build time-frame or the builder and later owners opted to not install it.

Either way a valuable lesson learned and needless to say, the safety latch will be installed as part of the rebuild process.

Also the replacement tinted canopy matching the old Todd's version was sourced through Aircraft Spruce in any one was curious about that.

Again a painful & expensive lesson learned but hopefully N-655BB will be airborne soon and headed back to it's SLC, UT hangar not much worse for the wear.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 AM

Default L39 AND EXTRA 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
In part as a progress post and also to pass on info to other potential RV-4 "newbies" such as myself, here's where things stand:

With the assistance of Old Republic Insurance I'm working with Loyd Remus in CO Springs to replace the canopy which was damaged beyond repair after ricocheting off the right horizontal stabilizer and falling 1,000ft. To complete the fabrication the aircraft is being transported to CO on a truck and will be flown back upon completion.

In the process of ordering parts for the canopy assembly from Van's I noticed on the Bill of Materials a "Canopy Safety Latch" which involves according to Van's assembly instructions "...safety catch that latches automatically when the canopy is closed. A steel catch is added to the canopy mechanism. It engages through a slot cut in the fuselage side rail and rides on a steel striker plate. A spring and bracket ensure that the latch engages."

Unfortunately on the RV-4 I purchased either the extra safety latch was not available from Van's during the 1985 build time-frame or the builder and later owners opted to not install it.

Either way a valuable lesson learned and needless to say, the safety latch will be installed as part of the rebuild process.

Also the replacement tinted canopy matching the old Todd's version was sourced through Aircraft Spruce in any one was curious about that.

Again a painful & expensive lesson learned but hopefully N-655BB will be airborne soon and headed back to it's SLC, UT hangar not much worse for the wear.
HAVE A LOOK HERE:
https://youtu.be/aQONtYjDlMw?t=3m39s

There are also a good number of L39 videos that show a positive latched TEST before start up with a push above the head.