VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 PM

Default RV6 For IFR Flight

Hello all! Future RVATOR here. My dream is to build an RV someday but I'm still deciding which one I want to build. In the mean time, I'm considering purchasing an RV. I really want to experience that RV grin in my own RV sooner rather than later. :-) I'm considering selling my Cherokee 140 and purchasing an IFR equipped RV6. My mission will potentially include a 120nm commute once a week. I'm currently working on my IFR ticket in my 140 and won't move forward with an RV purchase until after I complete my IFR training.

My question is what is the RV6 like as an IFR platform? If/when I purchase an RV, I definitely want it to be IFR equipped and certified (or certifiable) with an IFR GPS and autopilot.

I have flown with a friend in his RV7, and I absolutely loved it! That solidified my intent to own/build an RV. Any input is much appreciated and if this is in the wrong forum, let me know and I'll be glad to move my post.

Thanks all!
Old 07-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwav8or View Post
My question is what is the RV6 like as an IFR platform? If/when I purchase an RV, I definitely want it to be IFR equipped and certified (or certifiable) with an IFR GPS and autopilot.

Thanks all!
First, a language thing. No EAB airplane is “IFR certified”. You need to look at that particular airplane’s (the one you might buy) “Operating Limitations”. If you see “VFR only” then you may have a problem. Fortunately, you will most likely read, “VFR only unless equipped in accordance with FAR 91.205...”, then you’re good to go ifr as long as the specified equipment is on board.
I think you’ll find the RV much less stable than what you’ve been flying. Great for vfr, but tiring for ifr. An autopilot is a good idea, just to keep you fresh.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 PM

Heated pitot, backup primary instrumentation (gauges and avionics) and adequate electrical system are appropriate. You will find that a good autopilot (including altitude hold) really aids in managing workload. Too many gadgets and nice-to-have extras may negatively impact your useful load -- particularly when endeavoring to carry max IFR reserves fuel.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.

Last edited by DHeal : 07-08-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:29 AM

As mentioned, a good autopilot would be my first requirement. After that, avionics similar to your 140 for muscle memory’s sake. Everything else is negotiable, IMHO.
RV-6A bought flying
Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 PM

If your IFR skills are sharp, the RV will be no problem in IFR conditions. An autopilot is nice, as others have said, but if you know how to trim the aircraft then I wouldn't consider it a go/no-go item.

Whenever this question comes up, I feel that the discussion always turns towards the negative aspects of the RV in IMC. Yeah, it's not going to stay-exactly-where-you-put-it like an Archer or 182. On the other hand, the light touch that makes the RV so fun to fly also makes it very capable during an ILS. I've done many ILSes to Cat-I mins (200 & ½) in mine and it's wonderfully responsive. Climb performance is another thing; being able to climb out of an inadvertant icing encounter or being able to be well above the MEA are also strengths relative to many other piston singles.

I would say that it's a great IFR platform, but one that requires proficiency more than others. It's probably less tolerant of the six-approaches-every-six-months crowd, but in exchange rewards the six-approaches-per-month crowd with performance, handling, and capability that exceeds the norm.

KCOQ RNAV (GPS) 17 to near-min LPV ceilings (click picture to watch video) on windy and wet day :

Old 07-29-2018, 10:17 AM

Hey Brad,

Do you have a pic of your RV panel? I am in the process of updating mine.

Thx

RV-6, IO-320, Catto
Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 AM

Do you want to shoot spproaches or just pass through some IMC?

If approaches, a WAAS IFR navigator allows destination and alternate to be GPS based approaches. That is an up front expensive decision vs. "just" a VOR/ILS.

Autopilots are now no-brainers.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post
Hey Brad,

Do you have a pic of your RV panel? I am in the process of updating mine.

Thx
Yes, there's a picture of it in my plane's thread over in the Virtual Hangar section:

link
Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 PM

Very very nice panel.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto
Old 07-29-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post
Very very nice panel.
Thanks! Lots of the credit goes to Laird Owens though who made/sold the fiberglass panel. I then cut the insets for the instruments, radio stack, and engine cluster myself from the .062 aluminum supplied for the factory panel. It's worked great so far, and the combination of the Dynon Skyview, Dynon Autopilot, and Avidyne IFD540 provides more functionality than the regional jets I'm training for now...by a fair margin :-)