VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Smile

I added a "Comm Flip-Flop" switch on the stick of my -6A.

I find it useful to set up the next frequency needed and switch quickly and easily from the stick. With my DIY 3 switch audio panel, the flip-flop switch is automatically connected to the active transmitter of my two com radios.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 01-08-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Tosten 8 switch stick

I have the hat switch for elevator/aileron trim =4 switches
Left/Right rear momentary buttons rudder trim = 2 switches
Front Trigger PTT = 1 switch
Front button AP disconnect = 1 switch
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2018
Old 01-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Another happy Infinity grip user with the following:

* Coolie hat = roll/pitch trim
* Trigger = PTT
* Middle thumb button = A/P disable / enable (3 second hold)
* Upper right thumb button = Radio flip/flop (not used much with my setup).
* Upper left thumb switch = Flaps
* Lower pinkie button = Rocket launcher

I wired a panel switch to disable all but PTT on the co-pilot yoke.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 01-08-2018, 12:02 PM

I could be wrong, but ISTM that ADS-B will make an "ident" button obsolete.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
I could be wrong, but ISTM that ADS-B will make an "ident" button obsolete.
I had ADSB out and many times had been asked for ident.

In regards to the comm swap, I thought it about it but having fat fingers, don't want to accidently hit that switch and not knowing I had swapped com and keep talking to dead air. Even my A/P disconnect, I have had a couple of times that I hit the disconnect by accident and wondered why the plane is not following course only to realize that it had been disconnected. This would be specially bad in IMC.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Default Good comments

Glad to see this thread come up. I could only come up with PTT when Ive been pondering this for the M2, so have no need for and dont really want a fighter style grip.......(manual flaps and trim).

I can see adding a smoke switch (PTS?) when the time comes however.......
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyclawson View Post
I shudder when I see someone has put a start switch on the stick. If inflight restarts are done several times on each flight, this might be a good idea, otherwise....NO.
+1.

The guy who built my -9A did a superb job. But he put the starter switch on the stick. This was a TRULY HORRIBLE idea, in my humble opinion.

Note that there may someday be a person (e.g., an instructor) in your cockpit, with the master on, who is capable of bumping that button by accident. Ask me how I know, and how close I was to the prop when it happened!

When Vic did my panel upgrade he moved the starter to a guarded toggle switch. HUGE improvement. And I feel like a naval surface warfare officer when I flip the guard up before starting.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of the IDENT switch being on the stick. I get asked to IDENT a lot where I fly. And it's a natural place for control-wheel-steering, obviously.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM

I have the Ident on the stick.
Interesting to see the variation in replies. At LVK (class D under class B) I seem to get asked for it a lot. And lots of traffic funneling thru a few passes. But someone else in the DC area reports seldom being asked. East coast-west coast thing?

For the person who has accidentally disconnected the autopilot: most of them have audio warning tones. Maybe you need to turn up the volume?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post
+1.

The guy who built my -9A did a superb job. But he put the starter switch on the stick. This was a TRULY HORRIBLE idea, in my humble opinion.

Note that there may someday be a person (e.g., an instructor) in your cockpit, with the master on, who is capable of bumping that button by accident. Ask me how I know, and how close I was to the prop when it happened!

When Vic did my panel upgrade he moved the starter to a guarded toggle switch. HUGE improvement. And I feel like a naval surface warfare officer when I flip the guard up before starting.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of the IDENT switch being on the stick. I get asked to IDENT a lot where I fly. And it's a natural place for control-wheel-steering, obviously.

I am actually playing with the idea of a start button on the stick. Reason for is to not have to keep the stick held between your legs while starting.

If done I will have three switches in a group on the panel, left mag, starter consent and right mag. So the button on the stick would have to have both the master activated and then the protected starter consent switch on.

Probably will not happen....
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 01-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Default Start on stick

I've got my starter on the Infinity stick grip on the top where I have to move my thumb up and over the coolie hat to get to it. This switch activates a relay which powers up the starter contactor. I have a start enable switch on the panel under a flip-up guard. After start, I flip the guard down and the stick mounted start switch is safe. This way I can hold the stick back during start to nail the tailwheel down and have my other hand free for mixture and throttle. The enable switch has a 3rd, momentary position for in case the stick start switch ever fails to work. This one bypasses the relay and lights up the starter contactor directly.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
I am actually playing with the idea of a start button on the stick. Reason for is to not have to keep the stick held between your legs while starting.

If done I will have three switches in a group on the panel, left mag, starter consent and right mag. So the button on the stick would have to have both the master activated and then the protected starter consent switch on.

Probably will not happen....