VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #291  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Bullseye's Avatar
Bullseye Bullseye is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 536
Default

Post Title: New Progress Charts
Link to Post
Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:55:07 +0000
Prev | Next

Well. After more closely examining the progress charts I've been keeping up on the right side of the page, I figured out that the time-domain charts that google uses (in google charts) is NOT REALLY TIME DOMAIN!!!!

WHAT!?

So after a little engineering magic, I've now calculated (based on my last ten entries and last 100 rivets set), my expected completion date, and converted a series of points from date to percentage of that number. Google CAN plot things based on a normal non-time based x-axis, so now you can see the real shape of my progress in both regimes.

(Before, you were seeing how many hours or rivets for each additional entry. Now, you are seeing them in a time-domain represented by percent of expected completion.)

I'm assuming 2000 hours and 16,000 rivets. As I learn more (or blow through those numbers), I'll update the targets and the charts should auto-update.

Also, as I speed up or slow down, the algorithms should auto-update the slopes of the lines. See how the rivets projection is pretty steep? That's cause I set more than 100 rivets in the last 24 hours (post coming soon). While you won't see the end date change (it would be depressing to see the absolute date), you will see the blue ticks climb the line.

It's like watching grass grow.

Now. On to the pretty pictures.
Hours complete/remaining.


To install in the sender, you line up the plastic piece with the slot in the metal housing, and slide the float wire in.
Can't get any easier than that.


Now, let's clean up and get this thing sealed in there.
Five #8 screws after swishing in some MEK.


After cleaning up a whole bunch, I put the rubber gasket in place with some sealant (couldn't decide if I needed some or not), then put the float in, then more sealant around the edges, and some sealant for the screws.
Looks good to me.


I retested the sender and noticed 240 Ohms to 80 Ohms (I think I saw something lower before). That's okay, my EFIS (Electronic Flight Information System) will calibrate the range of fuel levels based on resistance later.

Okay, that was about a half hour, and there are plenty of hours left in the day, so let's move on. I think the next thing on the docket is to get the leading edge on the spar permanently. I have the leading edge landing light installed, and the tiendown bracket is good to go.

A changing of the plans picture...to the wing rivets and skins page.
Always fun to change plans.


After a few long minutes of getting the spar holes countersunk, I rubbed the scotchbrite pad over the length of the flange, cleaned up with MEK, then taped off to get some primer on there.
Ready for primer.

Sorry the light kind of precludes the primer from showing.


Okay, before I just start riveting the leading edge to the spar, I want to make sure everything lines up again. So, I want to put the tank on the spar, and the opposite skin from where I'm working.

Before I can get the tank on, I need to grab some nutplate for the inboard tank z-brackets.
__________________
Andrew Z.
Engineering Flight Test Pilot/Engineer, CFI-A, CFII, ATP
RV-7 in work (See my build log.)
Empennage...Done (except rebuilding the rudder.)
Wings...Halfway complete.
2018 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Bullseye's Avatar
Bullseye Bullseye is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 536
Default

Looks like AD3-4 and K1000-3 nutplates.

Here they are.


Then I grabbed the outboard lower skin, and got it clecoed on.
Here's just the leading edge clecoed.


Then, I grabbed the tank and put screws in every 5th hole.
And a screw in every hole along the tank/leading edge joint. Everything lines up great and looks awesome.


With the leading edge 50% clecoed, I decided it was finally time to show the FAA I'm really building this airplane. Sorry this awesome picture of a pre-squeezed rivet blocked the shot.
My visor says "Foxy's" on it. Anyone? Oh, and that rivet size looks appropriate, let's get to squeezing.


After 65 rivet squeezings, I had the upper leading edge skin riveted to the spar.
The leading edge looks so cool with no clecos in it.


After 65 more rivet squeezings, I had the lower leading edge skin riveted to the spar.
Oh man, I'm so excited.


GOOD DAY IN THE SHOP, high fives all around.

So....0.5 hours toward the tank. 2.5 hours toward the wings.

6 rivets for the spar nutplates, and 65 rivets each on the top and bottom of the leading edge. That makes 136.

Wuhoo!
Prev | Next
__________________
Andrew Z.
Engineering Flight Test Pilot/Engineer, CFI-A, CFII, ATP
RV-7 in work (See my build log.)
Empennage...Done (except rebuilding the rudder.)
Wings...Halfway complete.
2018 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.