Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 AM

Blake has a nifty tool that is useful for installing the cowling. Rent or buy it here.

The tool mounts to the face of the crankshaft/flywheel on commonly used Lycoming and Continental engines. It has an adjustable disc that simulates the spinner position. The cowling can be clamped, or clecoed, to the disc while you trim, fit, drill it to the airframe, or other cowl half. This allows the cowling to be positioned very accurately and solidly while working on it.

You could even install the cowling before you buy your prop. Of course, you need to know the dimension from the flywheel face to the back of whatever spinner you plan to use. Planning and common sense required!

Anyway, it's a very handy tool that eliminates the need for you to cobble together a homemade tool, or actually work around an expensive prop/spinner.

Obviously, you need to have the engine hung to use this tool! Doh... I hate to have to point that out, but someone will ask!

YMMV, but many of you may find a tool like this very useful and time-saving.
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 AM

Default Increasing Cowl To Spinner Clearance

After dry fitting my spinner, I appear to only have only about a 1/16 inch of clearance between the spinner bulkhead and cowl. On the other hand I have good clearance for the exhaust pipes and oil lines .

So I pulled the lower plugs and used cleco clamps to position the spinner on the bulkhead, centering the spinner.

After speaking to the folks at the mother ship, I purposefully "tried" to place the holes in the spinner bulkhead slightly forward of the midline to allow a little sanding of the bulkhead if needed. Most of the holes ended pretty much in the midline and at least none were aft of the midline. I also ordered the S-1210 spacer which moves the entire spinner assembly forward a tiny bit. Hopefully the combination of sanding the spinner bulkhead and installing the S-1210 spacer will give me the magic 1/8 inch clearance.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 AM

My clearance is 5/16" which to me seems just right and nice when comparing to other aircrafts. I aimed for a larger gap than stated in the KAI. I also installed the engine first prior cutting the cowl and never regret it.
Just my 2 cents

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
12-Town:http://12town.com/profile/Chris
=VAF= dues paid for 2018