VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 AM

Default LED Nav Lights

I bought Nav/Pos/Strobe wing tip lights from Aveo, they are spendy but they are excellent!
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I bought Nav/Pos/Strobe wing tip lights from Aveo, they are spendy but they are excellent!
From Aveo? Cool, but, this thread is about Avio.

You'd think the rocket surgeons in charge of naming the company would have picked something different. One letter to differentiate between themselves and another LED lighting outfit doesn't seem too bright...
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Did you buy the ones that are posted here or a different model?
Within the same price range and size, these are the best looking that I have seen so far and honestly the price is not bad at all.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:39 PM

Anyone end up installing the Navigator Ultra 360s?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:21 AM

A lot of the advertised strobes are not TSO'd and therefore not strictly legal for night flight. Do you know if the OP lights are? I'd really be interested to know the lowest-cost TSO'd lights out there. Lowest I've found is Whelen 650E for $449 each :-(

A good summary of requirements is at the start of Whelen's brochure:

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Ca...ts_Catalog.pdf
RV-14A #140158 flying

Last edited by Jake14 : 01-27-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:31 AM

As far as i know and have read none of the lights have to be tsod, they just have to meet the requirements.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:44 PM

I guess I should have said "FAA approved" instead of TSO'd...

The Whelen brochure (above) gives specs such as:

"These anti-collision systems must produce a minimum of 400 effective candela in Aviation Red or White (REF. FAR 23.1397), 360º
around the
aircraft’s vertical axis, 75º above and below the horizontal plane (REF. FAR 23.1401).
Note: The position lights must be wired independently of anti-collision light"

Implying that lights which don't meet these requirements are not legal for night flight. Then Whelen proceeds to show several lights which are "FAA approved" along with several which are not. The ones which aren't are lower priced.

Wondering if anyone has resolved the confusion as to what is required for legal night flight.
RV-14A #140158 flying
Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake14 View Post

Wondering if anyone has resolved the confusion as to what is required for legal night flight.
There should not be any confusion as to what is required. This article I wrote some time ago. It references what is required, and shows some tests done against a number of lighting solutions.

https://www.teamaerodynamix.com/shop...hanYoursv5.pdf
Gold Hill, NC25
Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the write-up Kahuna. It all made sense until the phrase:

"However it is our responsibility to show that what lighting products we install comply with FAR requirements if we choose to fly at night."

How could an individual builder show that? Do manufacturers supply data for their non-TSO'd products which would satisfy FAR requirements? If not, then it seems that anyone who flies at night without TSO'd, FAR approved lighting is in violation and could be held accountable in case of an accident or just a ramp check.
RV-14A #140158 flying
Old 02-08-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Poor Strobe Coverage

I should have followed up with everyone on this....

Here is what I found out about the Avio lights in May of 2017:
Turns out a friend of mine has these lights, and he told me that the strobe portion of the light is not visible from the front. So, when he is on final approach his strobes are blocked from view (by the rest of the light fixture) to people on the ground. That is not good.

I sent the following question to Avio..."In the US, we are required to have 360 degree strobe coverage. What coverage does your Navigator Ultra 360 lights provide ?"

The reply from Avio Lights..."Our Navigator Ultra 360 have only 200 deg coverage of the strobe light (side and back). There is no strobe light in the front of the lamp. The next generation of Navigator Ultra 360 will have 360 deg strobe coverage. We plan to launch the product in the end of the year."

I don't know if Avio has come out with their improved light or not... but in 2017 the 200 degree strobe was not good enough for me. I went with the non-approved Whelen Microburst. Very very bright and visible from the ground when on final.