VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Default 5.5.0 woes update

After more than a few hours today, I hopefully got my D180/AP74 back to where it should be. MartySantic comment on fuel tank's calibration being saved may be right. It also was easier for me to just recalibrate the servo's and compass than worry about whether those settings were saved. Re Dave12's question, you can not save your settings independent of the firmware version, so if you update to 5.5.0 and you lose all your settings like what happened to me, you can either recalibrate/reset/re-add/customize or restore your 5.4.3 backup with it's settings. Dynon also passed on that this update (5.5.0) will probably be the last D180 firmware update...
Re MartySantic comment that his update was like the 5.4.3 update. As my post said, my update had glitches that Dynon confirmed happened with other RV-12'vers (and not implying with all updaters...) It certainly did not go like the 5.4.3 update (fast and simple, all my settings were still there. Unlike Marty, I never had to reset anything when I did my 5.4.3 update...) It is clear that a 5.5.0 may go like Marty's, but also clear that it may go like mine. He should be open to that possibility, and the horror that goes with it. With no known data on horror vs bliss update percentages, it seems others are facing a **** shoot! For what little one gains in this update, is it worth the time and risk?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Default Marty's post on 5.5.0 update

Thanks Marty, for your excellent post. This is very helpful, factual, unemotional, black and white. Spoken like a true engineer

Tony
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQC View Post
For what little one gains in this update, is it worth the time and risk?
There is absolutely NO risk if you perform the backup and write down ALL settings (or take digital photos of all of the screens) before attempting the firmware upgrade to Version 5.5. Such is stated in the upgrade instructions. Gotta follow 'em.
Davenport, IA
Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Garmin GPSMAP 495 firmware update

FYI - Garmin issued a firmware update for our 495 in May 2013, version 2.8. For those updating D180 to 5.5.0, something to consider (and recommended by Dynon...)
Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Default Info Items and the Clutter Menu

With Version 5.5 the Clutter Menu is unlocked and the user now has control of the items displayed on the D-180.

After I installed the update and setting the items I wanted to display using the Clutter Menu, the left hand side INFO item no longer appeared.

In the Clutter Menu, if you choose CDI = CDI+GS, you will find the glideslope uses the same real estate as the left hand side INFO item. As such it is not possible to set a left hand side INFO item. To re-enable the left hand side INFO item, set CDI = CDI and the left hand side INFO item will be re-enabled.
Davenport, IA
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Update done!

I completed the D-180 update today and it went exactly as Marty's went in post #20 above.

To that, I can add:

I use the RETN FLOW parameter on the Fuel Flow menu as well as the K-Value and I had to reset that, in addition to the K-Value.

The Magnetic Intensity and Magnetic Inclination were reset to "blank", and I had to put in my saved settings, but I don't know if the compass has to be re-swung. I did note that the compass heading reading was the same as before the update.

My AOA display did not reappear after the update. I have not checked the clutter menu for that items status but I may have to re-calibrate the AOA.

If you have the AP-74 autopilot it will reappear with all lights lit after the update and if you do a "Detect Firmware Version" on the Product Support Program screen you will see the AP-74 and servos are not found. That is because doing a firmware upgrade you are starting over with the DSAB network and you need to do the DSAB configuration per the installation manual and follow that with the servo calibration and servo test just as you did on the initial startup of the autopilot. Once those things are done, then you can re-install any custom settings you had on the servos and everything should be working. If you "Detect Firmware Version" again you should now see the AP-74 and the servos listed:

I also have the D-100 and that unit is updated separately from the D-180:

That went smoothly and I don't have many custom settings on the D-100 but did find that all my screen rotations were wiped out and as I could not see EMS data from the D-180, I thought there was a communication problem. As it turned out I just needed to reset the screen rotations as the EMS screen was no longer in the screen rotation.

This update has some some important fixes, the main being correction of the NAVSRC lost which resulted in the autopilot dropping off the GPS magenta line and going to TRC mode. On my ship this would happen probably 5 times in a 200 mile run.

Also my altitude hold would always offset about 20 feet higher than set point. If I set ALT to 6500, the autopilot would hold it at 6520. This upgrade is supposed to improve the target hold.

There is also supposed to be improved autopilot tolerance of EFIS installations that had higher than ideal vibration levels. I don't think my autopilot had this as an issue, but don't know, it could have.

There is also improvement to fluctuations in at least one type of sensor. I hope so, a lot of the sensor needles fluctuate more than I like.

It took me about 2 1/2 hours to do back-ups, install the update on the D-180 and D-100 and go through all of the resetting of parameters.

I hope to fly in the next few days and check how things are working. I don't anticipate any big issues, but there will probably be some tweaks necessary.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 10-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Tony You will find that the AOA is decluttered. Easily turned back on. I seem to recall that you will have to reset the alarm point tho. I have not recalibrated the AOA and haven't noticed anything different than before the update.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 PM

My 496 died recently, So I decided to do the version 5.5.0 update. Thanks for the posts, Marty. They were a real help. Unfortunately now my D100 won't display the EMS pages generated by the D180 and the auto pilot won't go into NAV or TRACK mode. I do get the wind arrow on the D180 so the GPS seems to be talking to the D180.

Any ideas on what may be wrong?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Question

I'll take this one on.
Did you have all the different parts of your setup powered up when you did the update, meaning D180 on, auto pilot powered up, both servos powered up, which if auto pilot on then servos powered up?
If yes and all components were updated to the new software version by verifying this by checking with the Dynon update software option at the end of the update, "Detect Firware Version". Then did you do a dsab again after you were all done to reastablish that all the components were again found by the D180? Then did you do a autopilot calibration after you were done? These last two things need to be done after the software update. To get the EMS on your D100 push and hold the far right button(button 6) until a new menu pops up with options for what you would like to power up or boot to and the rotation sequence of which screens you would like to rotate through as you push either button 6 or 1. One last thing did you remember to update the D100
Separately from the D180?

References per Dynon D180 Installation manual latest version,
DSAB pg 7-4
Autopilot servo configuration pg 8-14
EMS Setup D100 pg you'll have to trust me on this one!
Let me know how I did.
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014

Last edited by Jetguy : 01-04-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:20 AM

Default Hey Rich - -

My Garmin stopped working a while back also. I removed the battery and checked the contacts - all seemed perfect. Put it back in and it has worked now for several weeks. Something to try anyway.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-4-18 )