VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Default D180 software update?

Has Van's posted the locked settings that we will need to be able to upgrade the AP 74 auto pilot? I have been following it but I did I miss it?

Richard
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Locked settings

Have not heard the locked setting are posted but nobody seems to be asking the obvious question.

WHY?

The SkyViewers don't have any stinkin' locked setting, why must the little ol' D180 have them?

We have it tough enough as it is, having to lug a full-blown windows computer to the hangar then run quirky software to do the update. I think all the SkyViewers have to do is plug in a data stick.

Excuse the rant, I learned from my airport buddy, Bogey.

Tony
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM

I agree with Tony that Van's should unlock all of the D-180s. Doing so will make their job easier, no locked settings software to update every time that Dynon comes out with an upgrade. And most of the customers will be happier too, except for those few that mess up the settings. Van's could publish a pdf file with all of the RV-12 settings. Owners could use that info to restore the settings if need be. Any computer savvy person can do it.
Joe Gores
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 PM

The only problem I know of (and have experienced) is the lost Nav source issue. Other than that my D180 works great. I'm reluctant to mess with something that works. Seems like all new software has its issues.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Van’s has a zip file called “Dynon Support 5.5.0"on their Download page. This contains the Dynon D180 V5.5 file and the unlock files. There is also a PDF document called “RV-12-Dynon support program download instruction.pdf and a PDF file called “12-D180-PRE-SETS.pdf.” In this update, all fields are unlocked, with the exception of data logging and airspeed. One interesting observation, in the upper right corner of the PRE-SET document you will find a revision history.

Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks for that info, Mike
Joe
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM

Joe,

If you do the update will you please note any issues here so the rest of us can avoid them?

Rich
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM

OK, Rich.
I spoke too soon in post #3 above. Van's has already provided settings and unlocked the D-180 except for airspeed. The lawyers probably wanted airspeed locked so that owners would not stall the wings or break them off at high speed.
Joe Gores
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Locked settings

Thanks guys for the info. But my problem was not with what is locked, but the fact that in addition to the update software you had to have another file of "locked settings" software that you have to direct the update software to.

Since the airspeed is still locked I assume there is still a locked settings file, same as before? Pardon my ignorance on this, I have not tried to do the update yet.

If I wanted to upgrade my plane to Skyview, and sell my D180, would it have to go back to Dynon to have the locked setting turned off? Never mind, much as I like Skyview, I don't think I would want to try an upgrade.

Tony
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Never mind, much as I like Skyview, I don't think I would want to try an upgrade.

Tony
It's not that difficult using the conversion kit, particularly as you have all the D180 wiring already installed. I had very little of the D180 wiring in place when I got the conversion kit, and that made following the instructions a bit trickier when they referred to wiring that wasn't there. Don't let the conversion put you off if you're considering a move to Skyview. Vans did an excellent job.