VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-08-2018, 04:42 AM

Default aluminum dust

Since the health issue was mentioned, I would like to ask about common practice around RV builders . Aluminum particles are getting more and more in the focus as possible health hazards. Also, conductive dust inside electric stuff inside the workshop worries me.

What do you do about it?
Old 10-08-2018, 06:23 AM

I can attest to the cheaper ones not lasting long. I've used up about half my wheel already (end of Fuse kit).. Generates a ton of dust. If I had a do-over, I'd just get the Van's one or a 3M.

I don't know what the equivalent 3M wheel is, but this one was "light" grade vs. medium.

This one was $45 last summer.. now $50. It worked fine.. but don't expect to build more than 1 rv-12 with it.

https://www.browntool.com/Listview/t...eburring+wheel
Old 10-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major-Tom View Post
Since the health issue was mentioned, I would like to ask about common practice around RV builders . Aluminum particles are getting more and more in the focus as possible health hazards. Also, conductive dust inside electric stuff inside the workshop worries me.

What do you do about it?
Since we work in a dusty environment on a regular basis everyone in our shop uses one of these.

It is way better than even the dust masks with air valves in them. You can use the same body for painting by switching between the quick change dust filters and carbon filters.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Unless...

Unless, of course, you are painting with product that requires a positive pressure air source.

Note the MSDS data sheet on the paint you plan to use. Compare it to the respirator performance. There are common chemicals in a lot of the paints we use that ARE NOT filtered by a run of the mill respirator...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 10-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Unless, of course, you are painting with product that requires a positive pressure air source.

Note the MSDS data sheet on the paint you plan to use. Compare it to the respirator performance. There are common chemicals in a lot of the paints we use that ARE NOT filtered by a run of the mill respirator...
Correct

My comment was in the context of a dusty environment from using a scotchbrite wheel for deburring (the topic of this discussion)

Protection from paint is a totally different discussion and yes the mask I posted a photo of, if used with charcoal paint filters would not be appropriate for all paints.

I have spent many hours on the breathing end of a forced air respirator system so I know that a painting respirator is not appropriate for all paints (particularly any that contain isocyninates)

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-08-2018, 03:18 PM

Default yep...

Yes, just wanted to clarify...

Not good if you think you are protected but you really aren't...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 PM

In the Nuke world we often wore respirators. The partial face type like what is shown above were only considered 90% effective. 10% doesnít sound like much, but itís 10% more bad stuff than I want to breathe.