Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
What kept it attached? The per-plans pop rivets will 'unzip' as soon as the canopy goes open far enough to stress the ones at the front end of the hinge. I discovered that fact right after purchasing my 1st -4, when I was replacing the simple lanyard that kept it from going too far, but did nothing to keep it from slamming shut in a wind gust.

Charlie
Sequence in my RV-3B: Canopy opened 90 degrees, held by strap, then strap broke and opened 180 degrees and rested on right wing. I remembered "fly the airplane" and added throttle to safely make it around the pattern and land. It's very possible that had I been a cooler pilot and only used enough power to climb and fly the pattern near minimum required airspeed, the canopy would have stayed attached. It only tore off when adding full power and getting above maybe 100 mph.

Finn
Old 10-03-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Canopy Release

Roger, bummer on the first flight!
When I built my latch, I made sure it was a tight fit when the pin/ rod inserted into the nylon block. I still have to pull a second time to fully latch down. Something to consider when you build another is the extra safety latch lock.
Iíd also join your closest EAA chapter that has some RV builders. Thatís a resource thatís priceless.