VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-29-2018, 08:26 AM

Default Page 25-05 bolt length

Page 25-05 shows AN3-13A for all the bolts but the outer seems too short i.e. there are no to little thread left showing.

Last edited by Chris Cooper : 09-29-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:10 AM

Is your torque wrench set correctly? Are you figuring for the drag torque? Are the washer thicknesses correct? You may need to use a thinner one(s) if that's an option.

A reminder from page 5-20:
"Some of the newer RV kits use the all metal MS21042 self locking nut. The long standing rule of thumb will not work for these nuts because they are shorter in height than the AN365 nut. For these nuts, modify the rule of thumb to “at least three, but not more than five threads showing.” This rule of thumb will still allow for meeting the 'maximum use of three washers' rule."
Old 09-29-2018, 09:31 AM

Torque wrench etc is fine. As this goes through the upright as well, it would appear to require a longer bolt but the drawings show the same length as all the others.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
Torque wrench etc is fine. As this goes through the upright as well, it would appear to require a longer bolt but the drawings show the same length as all the others.
Sounds like the longer bolt is in order. Be especially sure to use the correct number/thickness of washers so you don't bottom out the nut on a longer bolt.

I have a vague recollection of doing the same in that area, though it appears I didn't record that information in my notes.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
Page 25-05 shows AN3-13A for all the bolts but the outer seems too short i.e. there are no to little thread left showing.
I wondered the same thing here but decided that it's still by the book with ~2 threads showing. AN3-14A is probably closer to ideal, perhaps with an extra washer as mentioned above, but the -13A clearly has plenty of shaft inside that massive spar carry-through. You might try a thin washer if yours are borderline. Also double-check all deburring on the opposite end.

It would be interesting to see a photo from a quickbuild, curious if they stuck to the plans or used longer bolts.
2018 dues worth every penny
Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Thank you. I have a similar amount of threads as above so I think I will leave it.