VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-25-2018, 09:37 PM

Default Mounts

Has anyone come up with mounting hardware kits for the GSA28 and Ray Allen servo's in the RV-14 yet. I see them for the 7 and 10 all over, but hadn't seen an RV-14 specific one yet.
RV-14A #140512: Empennage in Progress
Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulde35d View Post
Has anyone come up with mounting hardware kits for the GSA28 and Ray Allen servo's in the RV-14 yet. I see them for the 7 and 10 all over, but hadn't seen an RV-14 specific one yet.
You will get the mounting HW with the kit and it is pretty easy setup.

For the rudder, if an electric trim is not a must, you can use a manual one. It is rather easy and inexpensive. RVs require little to no rudder, other than take off or slipping. Once you get it setup for cruise setting, you will find it hardly any need for a trim.
Dues paid
Old 07-26-2018, 01:31 AM

Maybe someone reading this at Oshkosh would go to the Vans tent on our behalf and ask -

1. Are yaw dampers required or beneficial on the RV14 and RV10 ?

2. If so, why and why have you not developed a rudder trim system ?

Please report back asap

Donated in 2018
Old 07-26-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Yes Vans has a kit for the roll and pitch servos. The Ray Allen pitch trim is included in the empennage kit. The roll trim is optional and Vans also has a kit for it. It’s same one installed in the RV10. The also have a yaw servo Installation kit with brackets and hardware.

Check out the Avionics update letter on the Vans site for order/part numbers and a bunch of other very valuable info.
RV14A #140083
Down to last 5%.
2017 Donation

Last edited by Tom023 : 07-26-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM

Default Need for yaw servo?

I'm still looking for anyone to comment on the effectiveness of a yaw servo in a 14? I'm thinking I don't need one.
Any thoughts?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Default Yaw Servo

I had the pleasure of flying the RV-14 demo aircraft with Vic Syracuse near Atlanta which had the Garmin yaw servo installed. Based on that 1 flight I made the following observations.

The RV-14 did not have any adverse yaw or dutch roll characteristics. The aircraft was flown at cruise speeds (120 - 148 KIAS) both with and without the Yaw Dampener engaged. While engaged, the aircraft had a deadbeat response to disturbances about the vertical axis.

Translation: the aircraft is pretty smooth to begin with and does not "need" the Yaw Servo. With that being said, if you regularly fly long cross country flights with a passenger who gets queasy easily, the yaw Dampener will reduce the air sickness in gusty or turbulent conditions by bringing the nose back to center without oscillation after a disturbance.

I chose to install both the Yaw servo and an electric yaw trim since I wanted to play with all the toys, could afford it, and wanted to make sure my wife would "enjoy" flying cross country with me. With that said, you should evaluate your mission, cost position, and comfort needs on this one.
RV-14A #140512: Empennage in Progress
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I had the pleasure of flying the RV-14 demo aircraft with Vic Syracuse near Atlanta which had the Garmin yaw servo installed. Based on that 1 flight I made the following observations.

The RV-14 did not have any adverse yaw or dutch roll characteristics. The aircraft was flown at cruise speeds (120 - 148 KIAS) both with and without the Yaw Dampener engaged. While engaged, the aircraft had a deadbeat response to disturbances about the vertical axis.

Translation: the aircraft is pretty smooth to begin with and does not "need" the Yaw Servo. With that being said, if you regularly fly long cross country flights with a passenger who gets queasy easily, the yaw Dampener will reduce the air sickness in gusty or turbulent conditions by bringing the nose back to center without oscillation after a disturbance.

I chose to install both the Yaw servo and an electric yaw trim since I wanted to play with all the toys, could afford it, and wanted to make sure my wife would "enjoy" flying cross country with me. With that said, you should evaluate your mission, cost position, and comfort needs on this one.
Same decision here, for the same reasons. I would add that it's a very easy install. Not much downside.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/