VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Good ideas

Andy, thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at Aerowave before and it looks like a good product. I"m assuming you mix the two parts together and have to let it sit for a while like other epoxy primers correct? Do you have any idea how heavy it is compared to other products? I don't want to be over-cautious but I'm trying to know as much as I can before I make a decision.

JoopSJ, that's a great idea! I hadn't heard of that product before. Do you use it? Can you tell me about your experience with it? I'll do some research but I'd love to hear practical experience as well.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Greg
Old 09-03-2018, 06:44 AM

For Aerowave 2001 you just mix the parts, stir and then spray. I have used about 6 liters so far, with wings and tail done, about half way into the fuselage. I would guess that at least 25% of that is wasted either left over due to over-estimating how much to mix, or from overspray. So lets say 6 liters ends up on the aircraft - that's about 6 kg or 12 lbs. I don't think it's too bad given the protection it provides.

Andy
Building RV-7 #74424
Mid-fuselage
Donated 2018
Old 09-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Default Welcome Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by galt1074 View Post
Hello!!

I am now RV-7 builder 74755!!
I've ordered the tail kit, a couple of tool box and practice kits, a set of Cleveland tools and I've reset my garage from a woodshop to an aircraft factory.
The catch? I'm US military serving in the UK right now so everything takes a while and everything is just a little "off" when it comes to tools, shipping, and many other things.
I've signed up for the Vans forums here in the UK, but I'm US so my shipping is a little different, and there's a number of things that are a little different from my British counterparts.
I'll also have the fun of shipping this thing back to the US in a few years when I move back...we'll see how far I get before that day comes.

As my tail kit is supposed to arrive in a few days, is there any advice you guys would like to give a new guy?
I haven't decided for sure tail or nose-dragger, pretty sure it will be a tip-up, and I guess I'll prime due to the weather here in the UK and the fact it's going on a boat across the Atlantic someday.

Looking forward to the adventure. I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

Greg LeCrone
RV Builder 74755
Greg,
It is the adventure of a lifetime and a massive personal achievement.
Love every aspect of it.
The good, the bad & the ugly.

There is solace in knowing you have 20,000 e-helpers.

Daddyman
Dues +
Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 PM

Default Enjoy the ride as best you can

This is an adventure!! There will be highs and the there WILL be lows. You will have triumphs and you will have disasters. Understand that this is part of the process and frankly building one of these things takes a good number of hours in your life.
Remember half the fun is in getting there. So be sure to enjoy all the aspects of the build, even when they aren’t positive.

Everyone has a build story
http://garetsrv.blogspot.ca/