VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Default AP install in the 14

I have ordered the QB wing kit and I wanted to install the brackets that hold the servos in the Tail cone and later in the wing.

I ordered the AP servo install from Van's and I was disappointed to learn that most of the hardware does not come with this kit.
Basically I got wiring and bolts all for a 118.00. A little expensive i think.

Does anyone know when I will receive the mounting brackets? Is it with the Finish kit? If it is with the finish kit, then why send them in that manner as the owner might not be installing a AP. Then it is a waste of $$.

If they are somewhere else where would I look? What am I missing?

When i built my 7A the mounting kit was ordered from Dynon. I did not see that option now.

Thanks for your response.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
#140479 RV-14A N1479B Reserved
Old 09-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoakes@att.net View Post
I have ordered the QB wing kit and I wanted to install the brackets that hold the servos in the Tail cone and later in the wing.

I ordered the AP servo install from Van's and I was disappointed to learn that most of the hardware does not come with this kit.
Basically I got wiring and bolts all for a 118.00. A little expensive i think.

Does anyone know when I will receive the mounting brackets? Is it with the Finish kit? If it is with the finish kit, then why send them in that manner as the owner might not be installing a AP. Then it is a waste of $$.

If they are somewhere else where would I look? What am I missing?

When i built my 7A the mounting kit was ordered from Dynon. I did not see that option now.

Thanks for your response.
The roll servo mount is included with the wing kit. The pitch servo mount is part of the elevator bellcrank assembly included in the fuselage kit.

The only extra mounts I had to buy were for the (optional) yaw servo - bracket from Van's and "bow" from Steinair - I'm using Garmin so not sure how this works for Dynon servos.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mturnerb : 09-16-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
The roll servo mount is included with the wing kit. The pitch servo mount is part of the aileron bellcrank assembly included in the fuselage kit.
That's the elevator bellcrank assembly, correct? Any reason not to install the pitch and yaw servos relatively early in the fuselage assembly process (certainly prior to joining the tailcone) while access to the bellcrank area is unobstructed?

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Fuselage underway)
N114KB (reserved)
Old 09-16-2018, 08:04 AM

There is every reason to do it early. Doing it later is a pain and I wish they just put those parts in the tail kit because the tiny expense is irrelevant to the hassle.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
That's the elevator bellcrank assembly, correct? Any reason not to install the pitch and yaw servos relatively early in the fuselage assembly process (certainly prior to joining the tailcone) while access to the bellcrank area is unobstructed?
CORRECT - my mistake - editing original post.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
I installed pitch and yaw servos after the empennage/fuselage join - not really too hard. You have to install a bracket for the yaw servo which would have been easier before the join - I ended up changing rivets to screws where the yaw servo bracket attaches to the bulkhead (I messed up one rivet hole and after thinking about it decided it would be nice to have the bracket easily removable). What was harder was installing the cable clamps on the yaw servos (part of Van's yaw servo installation kit). I waited to do this until there was a convenient time to mount the tailfeathers - rudder has to be centered and rudder cables tight to do this. I had to crawl a bit farther back into the fuse to tighten/position the clamps. So if you have all the parts and particularly if you're opting for yaw servo, do it before the join.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:12 PM

Does Dynon Skyview integrate a Yaw servo in the mix with roll and pitch?

In my 7A build I do not think they did, but years later they might.
I had not planned on using the Yaw servo, but rethinking.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
#140479 RV-14A N1479B Reserved