VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-16-2018, 01:46 AM

No problem at all with shaving rivets, its a standard technique in many aircraft companies to save time in production - the countersink can be less accurate. Particularly for plate nut rivets in the spar! I would not think twice. Drilling out rivets weakens everything, particularly small rivets in thin structure, and should only be done for rivets that are seriously below par. Rivet shaving can be done with a regular countersink cage and a flat shaving cutter.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikefinder View Post
In case anybody reads this down the road, the MIL SPEC (MIL-R-47196A) specifies that "Unless otherwise specified on the engineering drawing or specification, flushness limits shall be 0.010 inch above to 0.005 inch below the material surface." It goes on to say that if you want to shave it, the limit would be 0.006" proud.

If I understand this correctly, I'm still "within spec" and could "legally" shave this rivet and still stay within spec (providing I don't FUBAR it). I feel more confident having read this that, imperfect as they may be, they are "acceptable" per the standard.
Yep, Your getting the hang of this one. Doing you own home work and cross checking you information is a good sing. Keep it up. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Pics are best

After seeing the pics, I would leave them too. They look pretty good for platenut rivets. Wished Id seen the pic before commenting.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com